Anchored or not anchored

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anchored or not anchored

As a fisherman with a spot lock on his front trolling motor I have wondered does using my spot lock constitute anchored or just position fishing?

I have been reading that drift fisherman while boat drifting, sometimes let their path get too close to spotlocked fisherman who become upset. They state that I am anchored here.

Thinking about this situation, I believe without anchor rope out to an anchor then attached to a boat you are technically not anchored. You are a position fisherman.

So who has the courtesy right of way for the spot two fisherman in different boats want to fish?

Even if one of the boats is drifting, shouldn't they still have some sort of boat control so they can avoid collision problems.

I know (all) boats are to do what is necessary to avoid a collision but what is the courtesy rule?

I don't know the law, but normal people would walk around someone standing on the sidewalk, or fly around a stationary helicopter, or pogo around a fellow who was just pogoing up and down in one place

I just had a thought (headslap), my dad was a marine attorney. Maybe he will know! I'll post back

Comment

I knew this wouldn't be clear-cut... Dad answered it this way: if another vessel is approaching from port, you have the right of way. Conversely, if a vessel is heading to cross your path from your starboard side, they have the right of way. Think of it this way - if the two of you collide, and the damage is on your right side (starboard) side, it's your fault.

The very interesting "anchored under power" question really doesn't apply unless you have a distress signal out or one of the boats is a sailboat.

He also said a jury might see it the other way if a boat in motion hits a stationary boat. As in, "yes the stationary boat was at fault since the moving boat had the right of way. We award the moving boat that smashed into the stationary boat one penny."

Comment

Working...
      X