Jon Boat for the kid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jon Boat for the kid

I finally found a 14ft jon boat, with title that I bought for my son. Jeez, it's hard to find one with a title, I might add.

Anyway, we picked it up in Alvin and brought it home. He wanted to take it for a test ride before calling it a night. Big surprise. So, we hooked up the 4hp mariner that he found a few months ago. Started it up, and I showed him how to throttle it and put it in gear.

So, he puts it in gear, goes out about 100ft, turns around while he screwing with the throttle when all of a sudden he takes a sharp turn while accelerating, he gets excited and pushes down on the throttle arm and it breaks off in his hand. LOL..... you should have seen his face while holding onto the throttle that wasn't attached to anything and the motor reving away. Perfect visual for ...WTF.....

You had to be there, it was funny. Anyway, he brought it in with a big smile on his face. I did a quick re-engineering of the throttle arm, replaced it with vice grips, showed him how to steer without the arm and he was off and running.

He ran it for about a half hour. Everything seems fine. The pee stream is really hot. I replaced the impeller, but I guess the jackets are corroded (no thermostat that I can tell). I don't think I want to spend anymore time on the engine. So, maybe we'll run it until it goes......... If anyone has any suggestions, please post them.

He has his summer planned and has already invited all his friends to fish and crab.

HAHAHA! That just sounds like "you had to be there" moments but hillarious nonetheless! He should be appreciative to have a JB for the summer, I spent my summers in the ditch catching cotton mouths, turtles and crawfish!
    "I love the smell of napalm and watermelon slicks in the mornin'...."

Comment

Been there, done that. Nothing like a kid and his first boat. Even the mess ups turn into cherished memories. No suggestions on the motor, except perhaps trying some of that Salt Away stuff and running it in a bucket with that stuff.
      From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Are you wanting to buy a new motor or fix the old one?
        Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

nice job on buying a boat for the boy!
          the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

good deal.he will have a fun summer break
            Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

Welcome to BOATING!!! I wish ya had pics!!
              "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

he is a lucky kid. still trying to get my first boat but my dad is alittle slugish right now but he said for sure by summer ill have one!!!

Comment

corndog,
                  if it's a little elbow grease, I don't mind trying to fix it. Otherwise, I'm going to let my son decide if he wants to earn money for a newer outboard.

This thing was corroded pretty bad on the outside so I suspect the jackets are corroded as well.

yeah, I wish I had a boat when I was a kid.............

Thanks all

Comment

Working...
                  X