Father/Son Campout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Father/Son Campout

We had a father/son campout scheduled for this weekend with GSB and some members of his church and he invited me, so Cameron and I joined in the festivities. It was to be Cameron's first campout. The plan was a weekend of fishing and fellowship at GISP.
    I was the first to arrive at the campsite at 3:30pm Friday and was set up by 4:00. Scott showed at 4:30 and the we were joined by the rest of the crew over the next hour. Cameron was chomping at the bit to fish like I promised him, so we put the boat in and fished around lake Como for an hour trying to stay out of the 30mph winds and managed 1 missed bite. We headed back to camp and put some Perry's German sausage on the grill and had dinner......Man was that good!
    We all gathered for a devotional under the pavilion about 7:30 and the rain started about 8:00. The wind was blowing so hard that it was blowing the rain straight sideways and we were all soaked pretty quick. We sat under the pavilion for about an hour waiting for a break in the rain. We noticed during the lightning shows that all the tents had been blown over except mine, but I realized that the only reason mine was still up is becaused the windows were still open and the wind and rain was blowing straight thru it......Nice. We finally decided that we might be better off in the cars and made a mad dash. Cameron and I got all dried off and changed and sat in the car for a while waiting for it to slow and realized we were going to be sleeping in the car which was hot and muggy. I checked the weather radar and forecast and saw the flash flood warning all night and we decided it was time to pack up and hit the road.
    I jumped out into mid shin deep water, gale force winds and driving rain and gathered up my stuff. I took it to the boat and saw that I had forgotten to pull the plug and the boat was overflowing. I pulled the plug and just threw stuff in the boat, put the coolers on top and strapped it down. It drained down far enough and I dried off and changed again and we headed back in the severe weather. I realized my passenger side headlight was out and it was a long slow drive home and Cameron got a nice nap out of it.
    It wasn't the trip we had planned, but Cameron will remember it forever!
    Here are a few pics and a video for ya.

Scott (Campout Director) & Scottie his son

Out like a light!

And a little storm footage

http://s263.photobucket.com/albums/i...ut51410019.flv
    sigpic
    Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Lol the kid at the end of the video, "are you sure its unlocked dad?"

Niether one of you will forget it. Kinda like my dad and I will never forget getting stuck at BR in a rain shower not forcasted to end. Running out of Titlum really slow because of the extra weight from the gennys and lights and the crap load of water still in the boat because I was tired of bailing.
    Yeah, and all the muchachas they call me big pappa, when I throw pesos their way!

Comment

Wow, sounds like what could have gone wrong went wrong. You're right about him never forgetting it though. Sounds like a great father/son get away.

Comment

nice...

Comment

Yeehaw! No matter what, Scott jr. and I had some good time to talk and just be together. I think we will all remember this weekend.

Put the boat in twice and got ran back in by storms.
          No fish.
          Scott
          "All fishermen are liars except you and me and to tell you the truth, I'm not so sure about you!"

Comment

Now that was a story worth reading. Wish I could turn on the 5 o'clock news and hear this kind of story. No fish, but you made some memories.

I'm sure your boys will never forget it.

Comment

That's some good readin' right there. Great story!
              From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

I'm sure Cam enjoyed the good times Chip! That one pic of him knocked out sure looks like he did!
                "I love the smell of napalm and watermelon slicks in the mornin'...."

Comment

good read,thanks for sharing
                  Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

You guys are troopers.......that was one wicked storm. It was good seeing ya'll the next day.

Comment

When Scott mentioned he stayed at GISP thru the storm to me on Saturday-I felt bad and wished he'd called-they coulda stayed in my downstairs room-but that also got about 1/4 inch of water in part of it from that downpour!!
                      "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

I with Jerry, our house is always open to our FWE friends. Should have called!
                        LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Good dad Chip cool trip!
                          10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Working...
                          X