Yep... I said it. Menhaden are shad!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yep... I said it. Menhaden are shad!

Yep... I love to see this debate so here goes again. Menhaden ARE shad, lol.
    Other Names : Pogie, Ly, Shad, Gulf Menhaden
    Bluehost - Top rated web hosting provider - Free 1 click installs For blogs, shopping carts, and more. Get a free domain name, real NON-outsourced 24/7 support, and superior speed. web hosting provider php hosting cheap web hosting, Web hosting, domain names, front page hosting, email hosting. We offer affordable hosting, web hosting provider business web hosting, ecommerce hosting, unix hosting. Phone support available, Free Domain, and Free Setup.

And they do make a fiiiine bait!!!
    Joe

I say shad...
    10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Menhaden/chum/shad/pogies. One of the best bait around-makes great chum also for kings/offshore.
      "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

I love taking live mullet offshore. That's been a great freeline bait for me but to chum with shad is great too.

Are you going offshore anytime soon Jerry? I'm about ready to go.
        Joe
        Last edited by Race1Mopar; June 3, 2010, 03:07 PM.

Comment

We did last weekend-nobody wanted the live mullet out there-figured it'd be eaten quick and nada on it??? Was kinda strange. Them ribbonfish were like candy to the kings.
          "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Ahhhh Ribbonfish are always candy to kings. That is strange on the mullet. Had ot be an off day. What all did you catch?

Comment

8"-10" live mullet offshore=big fish

menhaden is shad to me too.

Comment

Kings, toss back snaps (closed), crevalle, 1 blacktip-lost. Found weedline but water was still green at 30 miles-weedline was at about 25 miles and no one home in the patches we hit. Saw no ling or dorado. I aint sure where the bluewater line was-prolly 40 I guess. Me and neighbor Mark went (Baby Tran Cat's buddy). Had a good time-left kings biting.

Comment

Growing up in La.: The pogie boats went out every day and caught menhaden. I didn't understand that, but I had better things to inquire of. I was always told a shad was a freshwater fish, yet we used artificials called, "Shad Rigs" to catch speckled trout. It's all very confusing.
                  From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Not sure what they are all called, but they were stacked UP in our canal last night. Millions of them and when you put the high beam on them they would all fall out of the water. I should take a video, because it is amazing how many where in there last night along with 3 large gar!
                    LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Squish'em and put in a crab trap for almost instant results.
                      Shad, the salt water Shinner.
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
                      Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

Originally posted by 2112 View Post
                        Squish'em and put in a crab trap for almost instant results.
                        Shad, the salt water Shinner.
                        I know where a bunch of em are!
                        Yeah, and all the muchachas they call me big pappa, when I throw pesos their way!

Comment

Originally posted by Robalo View Post
                          Kings, toss back snaps (closed), crevalle, 1 blacktip-lost. Found weedline but water was still green at 30 miles-weedline was at about 25 miles and no one home in the patches we hit. Saw no ling or dorado. I aint sure where the bluewater line was-prolly 40 I guess. Me and neighbor Mark went (Baby Tran Cat's buddy). Had a good time-left kings biting.
                          I was 50 miles out of Freeport on Tuesday and still no blue water.
                          Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Originally posted by Explorer21 View Post
                            Not sure what they are all called, but they were stacked UP in our canal last night. Millions of them and when you put the high beam on them they would all fall out of the water. I should take a video, because it is amazing how many where in there last night along with 3 large gar!
                            No kidding. We have so many in the canals that it's solid black from the bulk head to about 15 feet out into the canal. If they go over your green light as the big school it looks like your light went out. If you cast net some you TRY to barely hit the edge of them and not the middle and even then you dump 70% back in the water before putting the rest in your bucket. They sure bring the trout though!

Comment

Originally posted by Ibtsoom View Post
                              I was 50 miles out of Freeport on Tuesday and still no blue water.
                              That's amazing... Maybe that will partially explain why the fish took so long to come back in, as if they were a month behind. Sure glad there back though.

Comment

Working...
                              X