Vibrio........ Be careful

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vibrio........ Be careful

To all fishermen I know. Be warned these pictures are VERY, VERY graphic.

Be careful out there fishing or playing around in the Bay or beach Front

If you have these indications; Don't be a hero, get to the doctor ASAP..

2 weeks ago a pipe fitter went to Hanna’s reef in East Galveston bay. As he was grabbing for another live shrimp in the live well he got poked on the top of the hand by one of their horns. The next day about noon he felt some discomfort and noticed what looked like a small bite on his hand. By the end of the day the hand was swollen and felt like someone was beating it with a hammer. Went to SE memorial and spent a week there with no success of identifying or stopping the infection. Family insisted that he be transferred to Herman. The next morning Herman had identified the problem and began to treat it. Vibrio vulnificus the flesh eating bacteria found in saltwater. He is still in the hospital, but after 11 surgeries they are confident he will keep his fingers. Memorial was ready to cut them off! Unbelievable!!!!

This won’t stop me! He just had a stroke of bad luck in my opinion, but why was SE memorial not able to identify this and treat it before it got so bad. Lesson learned!!!!

Again, please be aware that some of these pictures are very graphic. Be warned.

AQUA PIMP
    Attached Files
    AQUA PIMP......
    "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

This was sent to me by a freind of mine. Thought I would post it for everyone to see how serious this sheet can be. Becareful out there and keep wounds clean and watch for any warning signs of this stuff.

AQUA PIMP
    AQUA PIMP......
    "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

Yowser! Hope the gentleman turns out ok.
      Chris

Comment

Thanks Pimp!!

Comment

Wow. I always carry hydrogen peroxide on the boat. If I ever prick my finger with a hook or get stuck by a fin, ect I always pour it over the wound.

Comment

gLAD THOSE LURES DON'T HAVE HORNS.......ARE YOU TRYING TO GET US TO STAY HOME SATURDAY.LOL........AMAN THAT LOOKS PAINFUL.......HOPE IT WORKS OUT FOR THAT FISHERMAN.
            I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Prayers sent. Was the guy in poor health to begin with? I mean who hasn't been poked by a shrimp? Who hasn't had a lure sit on their finger barely after tying a knot hanging from an open palm as your saying "Owww"

Be safe, carry diluted bleach to wash your hands etc.
              We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Originally posted by aqua pimp View Post
                This was sent to me by a freind of mine. Thought I would post it for everyone to see how serious this sheet can be. Becareful out there and keep wounds clean and watch for any warning signs of this stuff.

AQUA PIMP
                Besides cleaning wounds immediately, and seeking medical attention at the first sign of infection including redness, tenderness, and swelling.

The big lesson here is that regional hospitals will kill you.

I always go to Methodist Hospital in the Med Center if I need emergency treatment or hospitalization!
                "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Wow thanks PIMP,We just got one of our friends out of the hospital from the same thing.He fishes with Marsh Rat BOBBY REED,Same sort of thing happen to him they were fishing at the sulfur ditch and he caught a flounder then he got tangled in Bobby's line ,after landing the fish he was trying to untangle the lines and either the flounder teeth or the hook scratched him.He saw some blood and cleaned it up by the next day his hand look like your buddies there.
                  Thanks for the warning.
                  10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Originally posted by kenny View Post
                    Besides cleaning wounds immediately, and seeking medical attention at the first sign of infection including redness, tenderness, and swelling.

The big lesson here is that regional hospitals will kill you.

I always go to Methodist Hospital in the Med Center if I need emergency treatment or hospitalization!
                    No sheet......... You have one of the top if not the best medical center in the world an hour up the road in Houston...my brother always said if its serious, dont f*** around in the the regionals, get up to the med center.

sheet,,i think id let them cut my fingers off if it looked like that though.

Comment

Originally posted by JT View Post
                      No sheet......... You have one of the top if not the best medical center in the world an hour up the road in Houston...my brother always said if its serious, dont f*** around in the the regionals, get up to the med center.

sheet,,i think id let them cut my fingers off if it looked like that though.
                      Whoops...... there goes your sex life!!
                      "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Originally posted by kenny View Post
                        Whoops...... there goes your sex life!!
                        he still has the other hand kenny!! bwahaa

m

Comment

Serious stuff, hope the best for him and Thanks Pimp for sharing!

Which brings a good question to ask:

Whats the best treatment after one of these mishaps, Isopropyl Alcohol-Hydrogen Peroxide-Iodine..? Is there a Doc in the house!

I agree with Kenny, Methodist has saved me twice in the past 3 yrs.. I go no where else!

wd

Comment

Originally posted by michelle View Post
                            he still has the other hand kenny!! bwahaa

m
                            atta baby michelle. dammm good point.

Comment

my understanding is bleach is best.

sometimes you need to asume a bit of responsibility for your healthcare. some docs just don't pick up on these unusual bacteria so you need to give them a little bit of help. tell them you fish and are around marine life.
                              2 bugs we have to worry about are vibrio and a mycobacterium marinum.
                              mycobacterium is very rare and takes awhile to culture so it's really hard to identify. folks w/ aquariums are at risk for that one too. it presents w/ swelling and doesn't look anything like vibrio.
                              michelle

Comment

Working...
                              X