costa rica fishing suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• costa rica fishing suggestions

I'm heading to costa rica in 3 weeks, any suggestions of where to fish and who with on the pacific coast? Open to anything.

I lived in Quepos/Manuelle Antonio for a while. Fishing was amazing, 5-8 Sails a day. Thats landed not hooked up. There are many outfits out of quepos and a variaty of accomadations there. A little north of Quepos just north of Jaco is the famed Los Suenos Resort that has everything you could possibly need. You and your family would not have to leave the resort and it's incredible. Also, further south a town called Golifto on Golfo Dulce I heard had some great fishing. I visted there and the near by Bahia Drake and Parque Corcavado which is a bit more remote and beautiful but I never fished there. I never heard of better fishing up north near tamarindo and all that. Prime Bill fishing months are December through February so be prepared tro go after other species if your capt suggests it, rooster fish/dorado/pargo rojo. I witnesses record snook being caught on a river outside of quepos on the fly. Most Tarpon fishing is focused on the north east coast. Have fun the fishing is great.

Comment

When I was there we went with a group out of Tamarindo
      We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Was there in November. We stayed in Jaco and fished out of Los Suenos. We used hookedoncostarica.com to set up our trip and had a blast. Fished offshore for sailfish a few days and also fished a couple days for Roosterfish. The Roosterfishing was outstanding.

Comment

Capt. Bobby McGinnis-he's like Rudy Grigar in ways, but probably one of the best charter captains around. Likely booked, but give him a try.
          "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Where are you staying? Costa Rica is great for fishing. Been to Pacific side -Jaco and Quepos, but don't remember alot from the first two(bachelor parties). The charters out of the marina at Jaco/Los Suenos are good-raised 5 or 6 sails one day. Don't use one of the bigger charters out of Quepos - Blue Fin -boat broke down on our last day(no refund) and only able to land a couple of dorado because we were adrift for 3 hours until some Tico with his hair on fire picked us up to salvage the rest of the day and caught the few dorado. There have been many threads about Costa Rica fishing on another site in the "blue water" section if you dare to venture over there.

Comment

I thought the charters out of Los Suenos were way overpriced. I simply went down the road to the little village and found my own guy. Much cheaper and good captians are around. Raised some sails BUT I wanted a rooster fish. My buddy caught one but I didn't...it's still on the fish bucket list!

You can catch sails anywhere...GET A ROOSTER!
              sigpic

Comment

post pics when you get back and let us know how it is. i'm planning on going in january.
                michelle

Comment

My suggestion, take me
                  LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Originally posted by Baby Tran Cat View Post
                    I thought the charters out of Los Suenos were way overpriced. I simply went down the road to the little village and found my own guy. Much cheaper and good captians are around. Raised some sails BUT I wanted a rooster fish. My buddy caught one but I didn't...it's still on the fish bucket list!

You can catch sails anywhere...GET A ROOSTER!
                    Very good point!!

Comment

We fished aboard the Bethina offshore, Capt Glen and his crew were a blast to fish with. They were very enthusiastic, and very personable. We fished aboard the Fandango inshore for Roosterfish. Those guys were not nearly as personable but still fun and put us on some monster Roosters. Can't wait to go back and fish with them again.

Comment

tamarindo/flamingo

Just returned from CR last week. Northern Pacific in season now. Fished with Skeet Warren on Bushwacker. Fished like he was in a tournament. Great trip. Good luck

Comment

Prime billfish season

If you are trying to get a billfish you may want to consider Tamarindo/Flamingo area, now is their prime season. We raised 2 Blues and 1 sail and 2 mystery bites. Caught 1 sail and a Blue. We fished a full day 7am - 6pm. Most boats down their are in by 4. Could not have asked for more effort from a Captain. That is really all you can ask.

Comment

Working...
                          X