Range report with my Grandfather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Range report with my Grandfather

Called Russell, my grandfather Saturday to ask if he was still up to going sunday to the range and to my surprise he wanted to go at that moment but before we where to go any where he wanted to trade in his Colt M1991A1
    on a new S&W revolver at Carters Country so I said, "Ok Gramps, it's you're choice" and that's what we did.

When I got to his house to see the gun he was wanting to trade in my jaw nearly hit the floor. It's like a said, a Colt M1991A1 brand new, never fired, in the original box with all the original paper work purchased in 1993 for $398.

Now I am no dummy and I know a new Colt 1911 type starts of around $600- and can range upwards to 1k so I told gramps the gun store would low ball him on a trade in and if they did I would offer him $400 for it and that's still more than what it cost new 17 years back.

Sure enough, Carters country offered him $320 dollars towards the purchase of a new revolver and I smiled. I roke out my check card and put $400 towards the purchase of his new revolver and he paid the balance and everyone was happy except the guy behind the counter.

I don't know what model he got but it is a snub nose .357 that is also capable of handling +p.38 cal ammo. It is not the airwieght model but it looks just like it and is slightly heavier being stainless steel. It is a DA revolver with fixed sights.

So off to the range. We went to that place on HWY3. We paid for our boths and got 4 targets and we bought a bag apiece of reloads, he got .38's and I .45's

The Revolver is a bucking little beast even with the regular .38 rounds. I had some .357 stuff in my bag and that snub nose could really bark! Once the trigger is cocked the trigger break is very-very lite, I love it.

On to my new Colt .45 auto. I really struggled with the decision to fire it. Can you imagine what that thing could be worth in 20-40 more years in un-fired condition?! Frick it, I burned 50 rounds through it and it was surprisingly accurate and rang out with true authority. I have always dreamed of owning a real Colt .45 and not some knock-off and dang it!
    Now I got one.

In the real world, If I had to, I would reach for my 12ga loaded with 000 buck shot or even my SA XDm .40 with it's 15+1 capacity and tacticle lighting but there is something primal about that Colt that I can't explain

Actually I need to do some research on the colt. I thought all colts had 1911
    stamped on the slide. this one has stamped ''M1991A1'' The other side says - series 80 -

A few pix

Grandpa with his new S&W revolver

working the weapon

My both showing on the left my XD9 carry and the Colt on the right. Check out the size differences on the two calibers!

Last edited by 2112; July 18, 2010, 09:06 AM.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
    Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Sounds like a good day with gramps. Enjoy them all...I miss mine!
    Don't be a Nancy!
    If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

I think you paid a little to much for the Colt . being the nice guy that i am i am willing to ease you pain and give you $425 for it.

Comment

The 1991A1 was Colt's attempt to improve the weapon and get back the Govt's contract that had been given to Beretta for the anemic 9mm they use now. So yours is not a 1911, but a 1991.
        From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

Coach.
          I reasearched and found that out today.
          A 1991 and a 1911 are really the same.
          A 1991 has a plastic trigger and parkerized rubber grips
          In a early attempt to confront newbies on the block, specifically
          Glocks. No matter how you look at it, it basically is a 1911..
          Mine is matte black and other than a trigger job I wouldn't change ac
          Single thing. I even like the grips. The sights are ok for the day light
          But non adjustable Trijicon sights I can like the idea of.
          The gun is so raw and basic you need to see it to feel it's character.
          The more I research the subject the better I am liking it.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
          Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

On another note, man you are sooooo lucky to have your grandfather still around with you. I lost one at 3 years old and the other at 25. Keep pallin' around with him for as long as you can.
            From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

good times for sure
              MANVEL MOB

Comment

Working...
              X