Spanish Grant Canals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spanish Grant Canals

Anyone live in Spanish Grant? How is the water quality in the canals?

Mrs. GGF is interested in a house there so we went to look. Nice neighborhood, but everytime I've been to SG the water in the canals is brown. Sunday was no exception. Is it always like that?

Also do they ever dredge the channel into Starvation Cove? We took the Whaler over there Sunday afternoon and I drug the motor through the mud on the way in. On the way out there was another boat coming in so I moved to the right about 10 yards and got beached. I made Mrs GGF get out and push. (Those Whalers are heavy) Managed to get it into 2.5' and pop it up. Drug arse again going back out. I know the tide was low, but still.

I thought that would cure her, but she still likes the house.
    Honk if you love Jesus.
    Text while driving if you want to meet him.

Spanish Grant is more......um, genteel!

You'll be missed....

They dredge every 10 years whether it needs it or not.
    "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

if you can find johnd on 'the other site', he lives there and will probably be able to answer any questions.
      michelle

Comment

Spanish Grant seems nice, but it seems like a long way to the bay from even the closest homes.

Tide was exceptionally low this weekend. I bottomed out leaving Sea Isle on Sunday evening. I had a lot of people in the boat, including my mother-in-law.

I'll let you all make up your own jokes from here...

Comment

Originally posted by kenny View Post
          Spanish Grant is more......um, genteel!

You'll be missed....

They dredge every 10 years whether it needs it or not.
          I'm not gone yet. LOL!

I'm making a list of cons.

1) Boat gets stuck at low tide
          2) Brown water
          3) Canal cruising isn't nearly as good
          4) Further from Seven Seas
          5) Galveston taxes and services

What am I missing?
          Honk if you love Jesus.

Comment

What am I missing?

Well you'll be missing all us dry lot white trash.......
            "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Originally posted by kenny View Post
              What am I missing?

Well you'll be missing all us dry lot white trash.......
              True. You do break up the Storm Surge
              Honk if you love Jesus.

Comment

My brother lives in SG. Canals don't flush very well and don't seem to clear up. Channel has been shallow for a long time, and as you see not very wide. Nice subdivision, just don't piss off the homeowners association.

Comment

Originally posted by Scout177 View Post
                  My brother lives in SG. Canals don't flush very well and don't seem to clear up. Channel has been shallow for a long time, and as you see not very wide. Nice subdivision, just don't piss off the homeowners association.
                  It would be like living in Houston. LOL!

Mrs. GGF and I had a long talk about the pros and cons tonight. I think we are staying in JB.

Now who knows a good architect and remodeler?

I had to promise we'd add a new Master Suite and some other enhancements, but I get to stay in JB and it's quite a bit cheaper.
                  Honk if you love Jesus.

Comment

Talk to Capt Glenn Stephens....TxWhaler22. You should know him if you live in JB. He should know a good architect and he know all the contractors and is the king of floors in Galveston.

Originally posted by GGF View Post
                    It would be like living in Houston. LOL!

Mrs. GGF and I had a long talk about the pros and cons tonight. I think we are staying in JB.

Now who knows a good architect and remodeler?

I had to promise we'd add a new Master Suite and some other enhancements, but I get to stay in JB and it's quite a bit cheaper.
                    sigpic
                    Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Yep, I think you should stay in JB! Don't forget, you still have me as a slave for the day. You won me on the auction. I have extensive experience tearing out dry wall and destroying things if you wanna do a remodel. BTW, Get yourself out here to the bayou this week and see the place. - Sandy
                      From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

The canal from Spanish Grant to the bay is about 0.6 miles long but you can run it at speed. It is 5' to 6' deep in the middle.

Spanish Grant is a little different than most West End neighborhoods--more full time residents and no short term rentals allowed.

Water flow in the canals is OK, some would say marginal, which is why we get excited when the proposed Anchor Bay & Marquette subdivisions want to insert themselves between us & the bay and cut into our main canal and use this water flow to feed the canals & marina they want to dig.

This is pretty much where we got our reputation as A-Holes--trying to stop them from "overlaying" Spanish Grant with a 275 lot subdivision, using our canal as their canal & water source and using our little piss-ant road on the east side as their only way in & out of Anchor Bay--again--275 lots.

We occasionally dredge the area just outside the main canal to maintain access to the bay--no set schedule. We have a few large boats getting in & out with no difficulty at this time.

We are 5 miles from Jamaica Beach, 10 miles to Sea Isle.

Another main difference is the elevation--we are one of the higher subdivisions west of the seawall--while I did get some "Ike water" it was only about 2-1/2' on the ground. About 1/2 of the subdivision is in the better flood insurance zone (A-??).

I like it here but--as is the case for a lot of places--not the same as 20 years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by ktdtx View Post
                          The canal from Spanish Grant to the bay is about 0.6 miles long but you can run it at speed. It is 5' to 6' deep in the middle.

Spanish Grant is a little different than most West End neighborhoods--more full time residents and no short term rentals allowed.

Water flow in the canals is OK, some would say marginal, which is why we get excited when the proposed Anchor Bay & Marquette subdivisions want to insert themselves between us & the bay and cut into our main canal and use this water flow to feed the canals & marina they want to dig.

This is pretty much where we got our reputation as A-Holes--trying to stop them from "overlaying" Spanish Grant with a 275 lot subdivision, using our canal as their canal & water source and using our little piss-ant road on the east side as their only way in & out of Anchor Bay--again--275 lots.

We occasionally dredge the area just outside the main canal to maintain access to the bay--no set schedule. We have a few large boats getting in & out with no difficulty at this time.

We are 5 miles from Jamaica Beach, 10 miles to Sea Isle.

Another main difference is the elevation--we are one of the higher subdivisions west of the seawall--while I did get some "Ike water" it was only about 2-1/2' on the ground. About 1/2 of the subdivision is in the better flood insurance zone (A-??).

I like it here but--as is the case for a lot of places--not the same as 20 years ago.
                          Thanks for the info. I did notice the elevation. That is a nice feature.
                          Honk if you love Jesus.

Comment

Originally posted by coachlaw View Post
                            Yep, I think you should stay in JB! Don't forget, you still have me as a slave for the day. You won me on the auction. I have extensive experience tearing out dry wall and destroying things if you wanna do a remodel. BTW, Get yourself out here to the bayou this week and see the place. - Sandy
                            I'm in Austin this week. I did drive by it a few weeks ago. It looked good.
                            Honk if you love Jesus.

Comment

Working...
                            X