Newbie in Surf over the weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie in Surf over the weekend

Fished surf early morning (6:00 am - 9:00 am) on 7/31 & 8/01 (last Sat & Sun) near San Luis Pass (near the edge of Point West beach and public beach). The first day I used artificials such as DOA, mirror lures, assasines, etc. and didn't get a bump all morning. It was fairly crowded and two guys in the area each got a decent size trout but nothing else. Sunday morning was a ghost town on the beach...guess they knew something I didn't? I used live shrimp and got 3 hardheads and one sandy. Switched to the lures and got one hit but no catches. Both mornings the tide seemed to be coming in

I've never fished in the surf before but used to wade fish years ago near SLP and 8 mile rd and had decent results. Is there a different stategy on the surf side of the island? Do people use the same gear on the surf or do they get something a little stronger? Also, do people use life vests on the surf side or is that just if your're close to the pass? I'm guessing I was on the second bar and throwing straight out and to the side.

Thanks in advance for any adivce.

good try.some days are like that.as far as a PFD,i would wear one anytime close to a pass.the currents and undertows can get bad.better catching next time.i was fishing at access3 on the surfside beach a couple weeks ago using finger mullet.caught two trout and the guy down from me was using live shrimp and had 7. go figure
    Beer,its not just for breakfast

Comment

they were hitting everything i threw at them today!
      the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Timing and tides. I been zeroed and limited-just gotta catch at right time and conditions. I don't wear a pfd and had a few swims to 3rd bar and wish I had one-current picked up and stringer was heavy-no fun fighting current in 7' of water. I use same tackle as bays and do not beef up. If spannymacs or sharks take a few, then I either move or re-tie.

Nice post Woodrow for a first post. Thanks and keep em coming.
        "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Great report.....I use the same thing in the surf that I use in the bay.
          Thanks,
          sigpic
          Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

X2 on what Chip said. Just keep trying, it will turn around for ya. have fun and be safe around SLP!
            LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

Working...
            X