Vibrio Information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vibrio Information

I wanted to put together a check list of items to have on the boat to put on open cuts or wounds you may receive while fishing on the bay all day...

With the rise in cases everyone needs to be prepared and proactive about cleaning their wounds.

Most of Vibrio cases from what I hear are from the Bay system. The gulf has had a lot fewer instances because of the increased circulation and temperature difference?

I see some people carrying diluted bleach, rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide & I heard someone mention Iodine.

I carry Alcohol & Hydrogen Peroxide but someone told me Iodine works a lot better?
    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

I carry Hydrogen Peroxide 16oz's and Betadine/Iodine 10oz's.On my boat plus alcolhol wipes....

Comment

If you mix 9 parts water and 1 part bleach in a squirt bottle it will be fine. ....

This is from the posin control center

Yes it's mainly found in the gulf bays, but I know of a case where an elderly gentleamn had been bitten by some horse flys on the beach front.

he did get in the water.

He knew about the symptoms from knowing what happened to my uncle, so he went to the hospital.

A confirmd Vibrio test take 72 hrs .... and his came back inconclusive ..... but they started giving him the correct anti-biotics for it and he got better in three days .

1st - he acted quickly, and did not wait a day and got to the hosptial
      2nd - he gave them the info they needed to adminster the correct drugs ... thinking it was Vibrio

Don't mess around, if you think you have it ...get on it ASAP
      FISH CONTROL MY BRAIN

Comment

MudSkipper brought up another good point. It normally shows up in those with weakened immune systems (elderly etc). But that's not to say you should dismiss any cut if your in great health... chances are you'll be okay but take the added time to rinse hands in a diluted solution especially if you have cuts from tying line etc. Take proper action when handling fish like gaftop & hardheads.

I like the bleach idea in a squirt bottle... The Iodine / Bentadine is good stuff too.
        We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

I always take the hand sanitizer but I need to update my first aid it.
          NoBama

Comment

does anyone know how many cases ?

Comment

Soap,peroxide,bleach but most of all betadine and a bottle of hand sanitizer(alcohol based) which is good for keeping your hands clean while your fishing.You can ingest vibrio and it gets really ugly then. Also keep your drinks out of the fish cooler. I am guilty of this but need to add another igloo to the boat for this. Also if you can keep a finger nail scrubber onboard it comes in handy. Oh and dont forget fresh waterand to rinse off with.
              Last edited by corndog; August 10, 2010, 09:38 PM.
              Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

all of the above, cant be to careful! somebody needs to find out where this stuff comes from and how to stop it.
                the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

I carry diluted bleach and chlorhexiderm scrub.

Comment

Great thread and posts!! thanks-good info-better to be safe than in hospital!!
                    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Goat urine mixed with beetle dung applied directly on wound.
                      GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

All you folks freeking about vibro.Did you freek about VD when you where chasing women.Shut up and fish.

Comment

Windex.
                          Honk if you love Jesus.
                          Text while driving if you want to meet him.

Comment

Hey I am fishing!!! Just seen my lifelong friends Dad almost lose his arm or life!! Never thought it could happen. I am just saying. But i hear ya fuzzy I aint going to crawl in the fetal position and not go fish. If it your time its your time.I like this quote from the movie shawshank redemption " get busy dying or get busy living"
                            Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X