boat help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boat help!

very nice boat with just few minor stratches on the bottom of the hull but nothing to worry about..but one thing if i need to worry about this problem..I NEED A HONEST ANSWER..theres some chip off on fiberglass on the hull on the bottom and i can see some black stuff...do i need to worry about that if do how do i get it fixed?? Any help appreciated

thanks
    RYan

Do you have any pictures of the problem? How big are the chipped areas? Is the black stuff something someone put over the dings or is it mold or tar? It can be certainly be fixed and you could do it.
    The bottom of my boat is scratched all over and has green algae on areas. As long as it's not taking water and the bottom doesn't have any bubbles from delamination, it should be OK with a good repair.
    "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

I had a Skeeter that I hit a stump with on toledo bend.I wound up with a chip on the keel that looked just like you describe. I took it into the dealer for a motor service and asked him about it. He said that the black was the material layer just under the gel coat and that it wouldn't cause any problems. I kept the boat for 5 years and he was right.

Comment

Ryan, most of those small scratches aren't that expensive or difficult to repair. I would say either get it done professionally, or buy the West Systems epoxy repair kit and at least keep a layer of something over the top of the exposed glass. Once the gelcoat is gone, there isn't a protective layer for the fiberglass cloth.
        http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

okay i appreciate it..where should i get it repaired??

Comment

get some gelcoat repair in a tube-tape off the area, apply and fill in scratch, lightly sand it-I assume it's white-the fill (even if white) may not match well but beats a big ugly scratch and will keep water out of scratch/ding.
            "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

where can i get gelcoat repair?

Comment

Boat US, Academy, BPS and most any marine dealer. stuff comes in a tube-generally "white" -looks like a tube of sealant kinda.
                "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Working...
                X