I'm pretty sure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm pretty sure

I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question but want to make sure.

While out fishing this past Tues notice a Crabber cking his lines, we saw no crab net only 4-5 large Reds attached to a baited line with hooks.
    Is this legal???

I could not see any TX #'s on the boat and didn't take a Pic, I did yell at him and said I think that's illegal dude.. He did not reply back but gave me a Mind your on business look while reaching for something, so we moved on.

Thoughts please!
    I will be out on the links this eve and will ck back this eve, I know the boat and want to get this dude if I'm thinking right!
    Thanks,
    wd

That would be illegal. You cannot use any game fish for bait. I was actually nervous a couple weeks ago when I brought the remants of a trout I cleaned to put in a minnow trap. I got out there and realized that in theory that would even be illegal.

Comment

I've never heard of that before, and it doesn't sound like proper gear. I guess one could ask a Game Warden, since I'm no expert there.

Comment

No No guys, I talking about catching those fish and keeping them. Sort of a Trout line..
        Yes it is illegal to use a game fish for bait I know, talking about usingTrout Lines in the Gulf/Bay..

Thanks,
        Tee Time.. gotta go...........!

wd

Comment

Seen this before-saw a commercial with a trot line and I got stopped by GW and asked him WTF with the trot line by Yates/Big pasture in east bay-GW said he's catching drum-I said how does a red know it's for black drum-he said they don't and he aint spota keep reds, just blacks-was pure BS to me and asked if he gonna check the commercial-he said nope. they can't keep reds, so next time report his azz.
          "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Saltwater trot-lines are highly restricted and you can't harvest any sports fish from them. There could be on the line but they have to be turned loose unharmed.

Comment

Black drum yes, Red Drum no! it is illegal to harvest them other than with rod and reel in the State of Texas. Call operation game thief and give them a description and approximate location and I bet they will watch for him. Years ago, we still had a lot of illegal gill netting going on in West Bay, I haven't seen one for a long time. Thank goodness they are mostly gone from this system.
              http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

Yes , I believe it's OK to have multiple baited lines in the water , but still only keep the size and limit of gamefish. I think it's still legal to have a little sailboat feedout baited lines ....there were a whole set of rules governing this .
                GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Well then, I guess you can't do that any more.
                  GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Sail lines are legal.
                    From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

I'm pretty sure that there is an issue with multiple hooks on a single line. regardless, all Texas regulations would still apply, and redfish are off limits for commercial purposes.
                      http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

Sail lines are legal if set up with the proper spacing and total number of hooks. I also think trot-lines are still legal maybe but must also follow strict rules.
                        I was shot at years ago by a sail liner in Jumbile cove I obviously pizzed off!
                        "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

As It was stated in the Commercial Fishing Guidebook on TPWD website.

Trotline:
                          A non-metallic main fishing line
                          with more than five (5) hooks attached and
                          with each end attached to a fixture.
                          • May be used to take non-game fish,
                          channel catfish, blue catfish and flathead
                          catfish.
                          • Red drum, spotted seatrout and sharks
                          caught on a trotline may not be retained

or possessed
                          Chris

Comment

Originally posted by shallowist View Post
                            . Years ago, we still had a lot of illegal gill netting going on in West Bay, I haven't seen one for a long time. Thank goodness they are mostly gone from this system.
                            Steve I have found two in West Bay, and one in San Antonio Bay one in Mesquite. The last one was just east of the old water treatment plant in West Bay about 2004. They had it up shallow stretching out towards the gut. It was flounder time so I guess they were looking for them. There were no flounder in the net just a 27" trout. Warden decided it wasn't important enough to go there that day, so he went there the next day and it was gone. Not the play I would have made but whatever.
                            Fire Gerald Myers and Kent Hance!

Comment

Ok, Thanks guys.. I believe all to be correct..
                              No Game Fish may be collected from Trot lines, this guy clearly broke that rule. I've notified a friend out of Double Bayou to be on the look out for his rig and see if it happens again and then the call will be made. I've heard if you call Operation Game Theif they will come a running in a hurry.
                              To me it's Stealing and Breaking the rules.

Comment

Working...
                              X