Leaping Manta Ray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaping Manta Ray

I was out at dusk off Sea Isle for a cocktail sunset cruise this past Saturday and a manta ray with about a 4 ft wing span leaped out of the water four times in succession about 50 yards from the boat. What a sight! It looked like it cleared a good 3 feet out of the water each time. I couldn't see if it was chasing dinner or what but it looked like it was going to fly. First time I have seen that happen. That is what I like about bay fishing - it is a new experience every time.
    If we don't leave any, there won't be any.

Spotted Eagle Ray?

Comment

Hey Neil: Coloring looked dark brown to me but it had the telltale "cephalic lobes" (big side lips). Definitely not spotted though, don't know if the younger ones have a different color though.
      If we don't leave any, there won't be any.

Comment

cool
        the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

That would be a cool sight to see!
          sigpic
          Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

cool sighting for sure
              MANVEL MOB

Comment

Holy leaping water frog's what a sight!
                I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Feller on 2cool had a story up about one smashing into his windshield and wreaking havoc on the deck. It's tough to read though. The whole thing is one long paragraph.

Must be quite a sight to see!
                  From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

You sure it was a manta ray??

possibly an eagle ray?
                    We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

I saw a very very large one clear the water near the mouth of the Mississippi onetime. The rig I was working was being towed into the SW Pass area and we were in aprox. 50ft of water. Two tugs were spread out about 150 ft apart and the ray came up right between them. I guarantee the wing span was over 10ft....it was pretty cool as it came up and fluttered across the surface and then went down. I was like....WTF!!!
                      Also had a buddy have one break in front of him in the surf at 8 mile rd. Busted 10ft out in front, heading straight at him. Needless to say, he screamed like a lil girl. Everyone looked down at him and he's like..."Did you see that", "Did you see that"? No one saw a thing...we just thought something bumped him and gave him a lotta crap about screaming like some Nancy!
                      Don't be a Nancy!
                      If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

That would be really cool to see!
                        LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

I guess it looked like this:

Last edited by WestEndAngler; September 9, 2010, 03:05 PM. Reason: Putting YouTube into your post.... Read the FAQ

Comment

i would imagine that it was avoiding being dinner to a shark w/ it jumping like that.

Comment

We were taking the kids for a cruise in front of Sea Isle and the porpoises showed up on cue like it was "Dolphin Tours" last weekend. The kids went bonkers when we fed them some bait to keep them around the boat. Wish we could have seen that ray, they would have really blown their mind...below is a pic just after we saw them. That boat in the pic may have been you come to think of it.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X