Mean perch attack red

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mean perch attack red

Sunday, I pulled into the flats around 11 to drift some sand pockets. 1 customer throwing top water and 1 with live pigs, and 1 was throwing a pig, the wind was low, so low we didn't need drift sock. Seeing a nice narrow sand pocket about 40 feet out, I hit it with a pig and watched as a 19 + " red comes tearing up to get it, as I am talking to customers to watch this, he swallows pig and I set the hook and head to the bow of boat to give rod to customer, as we trade rods we get slack in line and red stops, perch come from the grass and attack the red, not 1 but 5 or 6. We are having a ball watching this, but since we are slowing drifting toward it, customer starts reeling again and the fight is back on. 2 times we let him stop in sand pocket and watch as perch attack the red again and again. I have never seen this and would love to have had a video of it.
    Has any one seen this before?
    Capt. Mike O'Dell

I just wish I could see that deep into the water.

Sounds like they were protecting their own.
    From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

No Mike but me and a roomate years ago wade fishin Fayette Lake were attacked by killer perch.It sure was a funny sight!
      I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Wow.....That would be a cool sight!
        sigpic
        Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Originally posted by coachlaw View Post
          I just wish I could see that deep into the water.

Sounds like they were protecting their own.
          Get some good polarized sunglasses....
          "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Sandy, I know you have some good polarized sunglasses????????

Comment

Good story capt........

Comment

Sure I have good glasses, still can't see that deep. I was alluding to the clarity of water further South compared to here.
                From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

the red must have swallowed their sister.
                  the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

Interesting..... I wonder if an older red would have whooped up on them and ate 'em ?
                    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Sounds to me like because the red was acting strange in the water the piggies went after it thinking it was wounded. They are voracious little buggers.

Comment

angry birds app, now we need an angry perch iphone app too
                        NoBama

Comment

Working...
                        X