DC...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC...

Kind of unrelated post here but I figured most would like to hear this...

I am a runner and I travel around to various marathons as a way to see different cities. One of the races on my "bucket list" has been the Marine Corps Marathon in DC. I have always wanted to run this race as it runs around the various monuments and sights and I had never been to DC.

What I received was not what I expected...

As you can see with the name of this race it is held by the US Marine Corps and all the branches participate. I was running with military men and women and military families. As far as the race goes, I dehydrated early and started cramping up so I knew that this was not to be timed but to simply finish and enjoy. About mile 11 when I started to cramp and realized my fate for this race I set my sites on catching a group of four marines running with camo back packs about fifty yards ahead of me. They seemed to be struggling as well and I figured I could reel em in. As I got closer, realized why they were wearing back packs. These boys all had their spare LIMBS with them as each had lost a leg overseas and one of the four lost his left leg as well as his left arm. I am cramping...they have lost limbs. Next I aimed at a young lady about twenty yards in front running with a photo pinned to her shirt. As I got closer I could see she was running in memory of her husband who was killed. She had to be all of 26 years old...way too young to be a widow. I bet I saw over 50 like her. Now my eyes were open. I saw men pushing other men who had suffered obvious brain injuries in various wheel chairs and form of chairs where the soldier could (and had to) lie down. Each would have a sign on them or the chair asking the crowd to cheer for ____. These men told me that they refuse to leave anyone behind, their friend was planning on running the race, was injured, so they decided their friend will still run, albeit it from a chair or whatever. They will sacrifice so he would NOT be left behind. I am cramping...they are not able to walk. There were mothers running in the combat boots of their lost sons. There were fathers and yes grandparents walking/running in memory of their lost loved ones. I met a blind army soldier who lost his sight and required over twenty surgeries over three years to an explosion from a shoulder fired rocket in Iraq. I am cramping...he is blind. I saw many others in wheel chairs pushing themselves to finish, one literally crawling across the finish line. He simply would not quit.

Well, my body has recovered and I sit here typing this. The injured I saw are still injured, the widows still widows, and those that lost ones still grieve. Though my physical pain was very temporary I do believe that my heart has been permanently altered.

The bravery I saw out there absolutely impacted me deeply. As a resident of Cypress, TX, far away from the front lines, I tend to forget what is really important and going on out there. I know that I am able to go down to the bay and chase trout and reds because there are men and women who are giving their time, limbs, and many the ultimate sacrifice, their lives, so that I can have the freedom to pursue happiness in any way I choose. I can go online on this site and post whatever I want as you without being arrested. I get to open my own business, worship where I choose, raise my daughter and two boys, and live my life to the fullest because of the many who stand up and fight for MY liberty.

I have been deeply humbled. So this post I guess is my simple thank you to those of you who have served this country and in effect served me. With all the political talk, Washington disagreements, and ridiculous noise out there it seems that your great service tends to be drowned out. I want you know that I recognize you and your family's dedication and I will be daily reflecting on you and those who are serving, praying for your health, happiness, and speedy return home.

Thank you...
    sigpic

Brad that is awesome. I proud of you for going and if I can keep my running up, I'll run it with you next year.

Thanks for posting.

Comment

What a great post, thank you for sharing.

Comment

very nice post Brad!!
        "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

congrats on your marathon,and good posting !
          10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

Working...
          X