Trolling Motor Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trolling Motor Issue

I picked up the trolling Motor from lesmcdonald. It is a Motor Guide GWB52V made in 1999 I think. The bottom housing was broken and I replaced it and got it back together, but there are 3 wires going to the speed control switch that were disconnected when I got it that I am not sure which post each goes to. I held them in place in every combination, but none worked. I was wondering if anyone has one of these and can pull the cover off to take a look and help me figure it out.
    The forward and reverse switch also only goes forward so I might have gotten a wire wrong there.

I found this schematic online and it looks like I got everything back together right, but it doesn't really show where those 3 wires go.

Here is a pic of what I am looking at albeit not a very good one.
    sigpic
    Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Mine is about the same year,will be back Saturday to look at mine.
    Today is a new day!!

Comment

Chip, Call me if you want the name of a great repair guy. He will get you hooked up.
      http://www.theshallowist.com

Comment

Did you get it fixed?
        Today is a new day!!

Comment

Not yet......No time this wkend.....Would still like t see a pic if anyone has one.
          sigpic
          Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Mine is a GWB67V, probably 2000/2001 model. Hope this help's you.

Attached Files
            A Little deeper in debt.

Comment

That looks the same........Thanks Willie!

Originally posted by Williep View Post
              Mine is a GWB67V, probably 2000/2001 model. Hope this help's you.

sigpic

Comment

Did you get it fixed Chip?
                We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

I've had more problems with Motorguide, especially that year model(01). Used to get stuck in full throttle forward all the time and it was always that control in the head that went to ****. Then I bought the newer style with control mechanism in the lower unit...still a POS. I give up trying to run a TM on the front of a shallowsport. If it'll be taking a beating Chip, don't mount it on the bow...go stern mount.
                  Don't be a Nancy!
                  If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

I got it all hooked up right but it still only runs full speed. I think one of the switches may be burned out. I guess I will have to take it to someone to fix it for me.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by imhammer View Post
                      I got it all hooked up right but it still only runs full speed. I think one of the switches may be burned out. I guess I will have to take it to someone to fix it for me.
                      Yes you will, mine did that like all the time...you will eventually burn it up if you continue to run it like that too. Ask me how I know?

Why I say, if your boat is going to pound, like my shallowsport does, make it so you can remove it and reattach when you need to, it'll save you a lot of probs. Or get a stern mount!
                      Don't be a Nancy!

Comment

Chip, does it have a switch underneath it and if so, are you saying it still runs full speed no matter what position it's in??????????
                        A Little deeper in debt.

Comment

Chip, does it have a switch underneath it and if so, are you saying it still runs full speed no matter what position it's in??????????
                          What mine would do...full bore or nada. Ended up getting a new board...twice!
                          Don't be a Nancy!

Comment

Yep!
                            sigpic

Comment

Check the black ground wire at top left of Willies picture,mine always corroded & would stop the variable from working.That happened many times of resoldering it finally burnt the board & bought the digital conversion kit as the board was no longer available.
                              Today is a new day!!

Comment

Working...
                              X