No announcement yet.

soon as the surfs wadeable please post!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• soon as the surfs wadeable please post!

all you folks livin on the beaCHFRONT..POST UP WHEN THE WAVES ARE WADEABLE.. water color dont matter much to me this time of year. i have caught some huge specks early like this..
    MANVEL MOB

Surf cams are your friend

But really...the surf won't be ready for a while yet...for consistent catches of specks. April is about the earliest i've ever had a good wade in the surf...and it was late april at that. Spring is usually very windy, and several years you won't be able to wade the surf until sometime in July.
    "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." Norman Maclean, from A River Runs Through It

Comment

I've got my eyes open for you. I work at the top of one of the taller buildings on Galveston. I can stare at the gulf or channel and be tempted to bail out of my responsibilities

Comment

Also, I noticed that today the gulf was 70F. I've heard people talking about that being the temp when it really gets going.

Comment

I can't wait. Last year sucked to wade the surf, well atleast May and June. Seemed like every day the wind was blowin 15-20. Hope there are a few days in May that are nice so I can pull out that 30in star tourny winning trout

Comment

Originally posted by Milkjug View Post
            Also, I noticed that today the gulf was 70F. I've heard people talking about that being the temp when it really gets going.
            You're right 70 is the magic number. It will increase to about 83-84 degrees in the summer and even more in certain spots. Not only are there more fish around, you dont freeze your marbles fishing!

Comment

I have it on good authority that healthy trout are showing up already. Not the sows yet and not big numbers, but they are here.
              "Nobody's so poor that democrats can't get rich screwing 'em."
              boom

Comment

If you fancy fishing from a surfboard the waves were definitely RIDEABLE today
                XA

GOD BLESS AND GIG'EM!

I hope I catch a 10 lb trout before I catch a flesh eating bacteria.

Comment

yeah

I've got my eyes open for you. I work at the top of one of the taller buildings on Galveston. I can stare at the gulf or channel and be tempted to bail out of my responsibilities
                  cool thats what i was lookin for thanks
                  MANVEL MOB

Comment

Here is a link to the Surfhouse Surfcam.

Surf-Fishing;
                    I tell you and you forget, I show you and you remember, I involve you and you understand.

Comment

I'm predicting that this N. wind coming in this Friday should knock the waves right down.

Sunday afternoon to early next week I'll out on the beachfront. I don't think the specks will be around, but I'll bring tackle just in case and focus on dead-shrimpin.

Comment

I'm predicting that this N. wind coming in this Friday should knock the waves right down.

Sunday afternoon to early next week I'll out on the beachfront. I don't think the specks will be around, but I'll bring tackle just in case and focus on dead-shrimpin.

cast some spoons instead. lots of macks and few trout are in the surf already. the water is just a bit too cold for me though.

Comment

Man, there were macks busting bait all over the place last week when I was fishing the surf. They were hitting really small minnows, I even got a clear look at a few of the macks when they hit close to the yak.

They broke off my dead shrimp once when I was bringing it in, so I tried a few silver spoons I had. Not a hit, even with the flouorocarbon leader, and I know they saw it because they were in thick.

I think they were focused on tiny bait and the spoon was too big. I'm thinking a small silver jig or shiny crankbait with a cork for casting distance might be the trick. I was able to catch a few macks early year with that set up when they were hitting small bait.

Comment

they were hitting 3/4oz silver spoons off the surfside jetties. there is alot of small bait fish. I think they are glass minnows and small shad. Its about that time of year for them to start showing up.

mirrodine XL and mirrominnow in clear are killer baits to be throwing right now also.

Comment

Dude, I was just talking about those mirrodines earlier. My PB 27" speck hit one in the surf 2 years ago.

Comment

Working...
                              X