No announcement yet.

Props - 3 blade to 4 blade swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what are the WOT rpms you are running now, you may be over propped causing the slow plane.

Ive found that if you are porposing, it's 99% in the set up.
    A cav plate is designed to keep water around the prop, not to fix a bad set up.

Comment

Originally posted by gregr1971 View Post
      what are the WOT rpms you are running now, you may be over propped causing the slow plane.

Ive found that if you are porposing, it's 99% in the set up.
      A cav plate is designed to keep water around the prop, not to fix a bad set up.
      The motor has to load up into the 5,000s before it will start to plane. I don't have the exact RPM (ex. 5200) noted. I agree with your thoughts about the cav plate. I want to get the set up working correctly vs. putting a band-aid on it. I am searching for a prop with better bite in the 4,000s and will hold it's bite at WOT.

Comment

Loading up before it starts to plane tells me that the prop is slipping. Verify that the trim is all the way down and the engine is all the way down.
        How long does it take to plane? It should only take a couple of seconds (maybe 3). There is an outside chance that you don't have enough power, but seems to me that 30 hp should be okay with that rig.

I'm thinking you need to take some of us fishing so we can arm chair the solution for you.

Comment

Maybe trim tabs or an offset manual jackplate?
          Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

What "model" prop do you have?
            Ie.. Rebel, viper, sst. Etc.?

Comment

Originally posted by gregr1971 View Post
              What "model" prop do you have?
              Ie.. Rebel, viper, sst. Etc.?
              SSP 765177 3x10x12P

Comment

I run a four blade, but I may try a 3 blade for more speed. But, I like the hole shot.

Jason, my advice is to just take it over to Evans and let him take it on a run and go from there. I need some work done and he would already have my boat, but Obama keeps taking all my money.
                KEEP IT WET..

Comment

Originally posted by buoy37 View Post
                  The motor has to load up into the 5,000s before it will start to plane. I don't have the exact RPM (ex. 5200) noted. I agree with your thoughts about the cav plate. I want to get the set up working correctly vs. putting a band-aid on it. I am searching for a prop with better bite in the 4,000s and will hold it's bite at WOT.
                  You haven't mentioned it was cavitating...that makes it a little strange that you keep trying to convince yourself that you don't need an ANTI-cavitation plate.

Good luck!
                  "I love this country, it's the government I'm afraid of!"

Comment

porposing "Real" solutions:
                    1) Raise or lower the engine. Likely it needs to be raised. If it was too high, you'd probably be ventilating instead of porposing.
                    2) Try a different prop. Some props just can't hold the bow. Or they lift it too much and it keeps falling off. Or they lift the transom pushing the bow down and it pops back up. 3) Redistribute weight. Move batteries, etc. I'd try this first.
                    4) Try driving it differently. Maybe there's just a smaller sweet spot for getting the perfect trim than you're used to.

"Bandaid" solutions:
                    1) Get trim tabs. Trim tabs are a bandaid to porpoising. I believe a well designed boat that's setup with the correct engine height and prop shouldn't need trim tabs to prevent porpoising. That said, trim tabs are probably some of the best money you can spend on a planing hull - ESPECIALLY a smaller, lighter hull.
                    2) Get a wedge. This will allow even more negative trim for your engine.
                    3) Add weight to the bow. This should be the last resort.

If the hull is designed poorly or damaged, you'll need all the real solutions, all the bandaid solutions, and some luck to stop the problem. Some hulls are just not well designed. Maybe they have too much rocker, not enough rocker, too much hook, not enough hook, bad weight distribution, too much engine, etc, etc, etc. The list of problems is endless. One person's solution could be your problem.

Comment

what he said.....

Comment

Were's the love buddy...first thing i said when you first got that lil beast of a boat...was 4 blade prop.
                        oh yea check your PM...we need to go dude...

Comment

Originally posted by castaway300 View Post
                          Were's the love buddy...first thing i said when you first got that lil beast of a boat...was 4 blade prop.
                          oh yea check your PM...we need to go dude...
                          You can't blame for guy wanting to learn the ins and outs of props. I have learned a lot over the past week. I'll be calling Louie next week.

Comment

Working...
                          X