motor just dies while running.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rickg View Post
    i am a boat mech in alvin. first you need to know what year it is because a 94 has a different wiring harnessthan a 96. easy way to find out is does your boat have a gauge with four little lights. second what kind of control box do you have. side mount or binnicle. and also what were you doing when it shut down ie were you jacked up on a jack plate trimmed out or trimmed under. maybe i can steer you in the right direction.
    What does the year have to do with whether or not it is getting fire to the plugs?
    If it is not getting fire to the plugs then it s seems it is anignition problem. Please advise.
    Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

does a 67 charger hemi have the same wiring harness as a 08 charger hemi? thing is corndog they have different wiring harnessess, and different wiring harnessess means different problems. one uses a system check gauge and what we call a 70 series keyswitch that could be shorting internally and the older wiring harness has screws holding in the wires on the back of the keyswitch and it could be a loose wire on the keyswitch, the list goes on and on, i was just really trying to get a lil more info on the rig to have em headed in the right direction. hope that clarified things for you corndog

Comment

check for any bare wires arcing to each other or to the motor and check for a pinched wire under ignition module. had that happen to me and had to losen module bolts to finish fishing. also check your fuel tank vent, if its plugged it could cause the same problem

Comment

Originally posted by rickg View Post
          does a 67 charger hemi have the same wiring harness as a 08 charger hemi? thing is corndog they have different wiring harnessess, and different wiring harnessess means different problems. one uses a system check gauge and what we call a 70 series keyswitch that could be shorting internally and the older wiring harness has screws holding in the wires on the back of the keyswitch and it could be a loose wire on the keyswitch, the list goes on and on, i was just really trying to get a lil more info on the rig to have em headed in the right direction. hope that clarified things for you corndog
          Rick Does a donkey look like an elephant. I am still confused by your question above. Thing is if either are working they would deliver what we call fire to the spark plug wire correct. I thought checking to see if there was fire to a spark plug might get anyone off to the right direction and not take much time or cost to much.What I am saying is the key thing to check out is the following and you dont need to know any thing about the above:

1 When the motor dies confirm that the plug wires are not delivering fire to the plug.
          1a. When the motor cools off and you crank it do you then get fire to the plug wires?
          (Continue to step 2) keep in mind the switch box which is a classic sign.

2 then if they are not firing go thru the electrical issues As stated above by Rick G.

3 if they are firing forego the electrical stuff and look to a fuel issue.

4 if they are firing remove the plugs add some gas in the spark plug hole install the plugs. Crank the motor and if it fire and then dies look for fuel issues
          4 next make sure it is getting oxygen.
          5 take it to a boat mechanic

Back to the three principles of combustion.
          fire,fuel and oxygen
          Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

I think what rickg was talking about is that certian motors have inherit problems, so giving all info on motor can help with this. I am an ex auto tech & when someone call me to ask a question on a vehicle, I ask for all the info on the vehicle. When I got a call the other day about a problem on one & as soon as he gave me the year, I told him where to look as that year had the problem he was describing. I think he was trying to help knowing more info.
            Today is a new day!!

Comment

[QUOTE=Dawg;110815]I think what rickg was talking about is that certian motors have inherit problems, so giving all info on motor can help with this. I am an ex auto tech & when someone call me to ask a question on a vehicle, I ask for all the info on the vehicle. When I got a call the other day about a problem on one & as soon as he gave me the year, I told him where to look as that year had the problem he was describing. I think he was trying to help knowing more info.[/QUOTE

I am clear on what I am asking

1 When the motor dies confirm that the plug wires are not delivering fire to the plug.
              1a. When the motor cools off and you crank it do you then get fire to the plug wires?
              (Continue to step 2) keep in mind the switch box which is a classic sign.

2 then if they are not firing go thru the electrical issues As stated above by Rick G.

3 if they are firing forego the electrical stuff and look to a fuel issue.

4 if they are firing remove the plugs add some gas in the spark plug hole install the plugs. Crank the motor and if it fire and then dies look for fuel issues
              4 next make sure it is getting oxygen.
              5 take it to a boat mechanic

Back to the three principles of combustion.
              fire,fuel and oxygen

And to respond to dawg, I would not want someone to buy a fuel pump if they are not getting fire just because 5000 other people needed a fuel pump. Nor would I want him to have to buy and ignition box because 5000 people needed one before him. I think I have made it simple. thanks for your input

If Terra can answer the question I may be able to help him in the right direction. Please advise
              Last edited by corndog; January 3, 2011, 10:36 PM.
              Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

serious chit there corndog!
                MANVEL MOB

Comment

What I was trying to say,example, if a certian year may have a bad ground at say "x" location & was not giving proper ground to ignition module & was wanting it moved to "y" location for better ground. I would not want anyone to replace a part just because 5000 people had that problem,just an area that needs to be tested first before replacing,but it happens,see it all day,everyday.
                  Today is a new day!!

Comment

Originally posted by dbarham View Post
                    serious chit there corndog!
                    You need a new steering wheel and prop since your bolt sheared at your motor and steering cable. Also you need to fish in shallow clear water so you can find your motor if need be. Sorry had to throw that out there. Im on a roll!!!!!
                    Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dawg View Post
                      What I was trying to say,example, if a certian year may have a bad ground at say "x" location & was not giving proper ground to ignition module & was wanting it moved to "y" location for better ground. I would not want anyone to replace a part just because 5000 people had that problem,just an area that needs to be tested first before replacing,but it happens,see it all day,everyday.
                      Dawg, I will say it again. As stated in previous post. Does terra have fire when his motor die? If so follow the steps I have stated. If not look for fuel issues as stated. I have made it simple. Respond to the questions I have asked to try to help terra. Now since you have posted again I will respond to your post.

If terra is not getting fire to his plug what does it matter what brand he has? He would then need to look for a fuel problem(chances are) ? Correct?

If terra is getting fire he needs to look for a fuel problem? Correct?

Define with a simple test no matter what brand ,make or model you have whether to look for a fuel problem or ignition problem. I have used this technic to fix lawn mowers. weed eaters, motorcycles, cars,et skis, ATS, boats,airplanes and even the space shuttle.
                      Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dawg View Post
                        But if he is getting fire to his plug wires none of this matters correct? Please advise.
                        Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Yes you are right that the engine need 3 things to work. Checking all 3 first will help. So if he is not getting spark,then where does he go if he wants to try to repair himself? Bad ground or power to ignition? Bad module or sensor? He would still need to test the circuits to the module to see if he is getting all 3-power,ground,signal, just like an engine needs fuel,air,spark. Just trying to help also!!
                          Today is a new day!!

Comment

Dawg, We are on the same page now. Appreciate the responses. I just hate to see some one go to a mechanic and not hae a definition on where to go. Boat motors are really ust glorified weed eaters in a way. Best thing is to rn them all the time.I did find out when my switch box went bad that I would not have fire when it died. Then after it sat a while it would have fire until it warmed up and would die and then no fire. This is one thing if not cuaght before going to a mechanic can cost you a fortune. BTW has terra fixed his motor or are we just jacking our jaws about his motor and is it in the boat machanics grasp and gateway to his checkbook?. Terra what is status of the motor?
                            Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

We have always been on the same page. More than likely its in a shop since he has not posted here recently.Sometimes its best to bring it to a mechanic before someone replaces alot of parts for no reason.
                              Today is a new day!!

Comment

corndog do you really think its a good idea to tell someone how to diagnose ignition and fuel problems if u have to explain how combustion works nor should u tell them to put fuel in their cylinders giving them a combination that could be dangerous to their motor or to them. just think about it. u sound like u know a decent amount about motors but u shouldnt try to talk down to people that have far more experience and know what its like and how much more expensive it is after the customer has made it worse and has parts all over.
                                Last edited by o2ram4dr; January 4, 2011, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X