No announcement yet.

Rigging some flounder lights...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let me tell you what I know from experience with those things. I bought one to use for walking-gigging. They do project light well from the sides but they do not project light forward so when you make your light bar you will need to make them so that the light is mounted horizontal, from your left to your right as opposed to jutting straight out away from you.
    Please trust me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBLbrJxGtro
    Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
      Dude... Cory your at 620 w. 191 posts... Don't make me demote you to post queen!
      Thats cause my posts are so darn good! Mr. Westen Dangler

Comment

Of course you know... this means WAR!
        We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Its on, like donkey kong!

Comment

Originally posted by 2112 View Post
            Let me tell you what I know from experience with those things. I bought one to use for walking-gigging. They do project light well from the sides but they do not project light forward so when you make your light bar you will need to make them so that the light is mounted horizontal, from your left to your right as opposed to jutting straight out away from you.
            Please trust me.
            Good advice... I'm going to be designing it later this evening... Also... Your rig is bad ***** but I think I've said that before

I'm contemplating adding a few of the TTF Lights (simililar to the ones I currently walk and gig with) to be in the center somewhere shining forward... SO... I'd wind up with the something like you see on the earlier link plus 2 round lights for the forward light.

The only thing that concerns me with the Halogen lights is that they must remain submerged...

Comment

Originally posted by Unclehandy View Post
              Its on, like donkey kong!

Comment

What about angling them up at a 45 degree angle instead of a 90? Have you tried that 2112? Im gonna help westendangler set it up, Just wouldnt want any light to be wasted under the bow of the boat if they are turned sideways.

Comment

My idea...

Right now this is what's going thru my head after 2112's comment regarding no forward visibility... Also not pictured and still up in the air will be the floats that suspend the lights right below the surface of the water... I have a 1" receive hitch on my rig and might have TXSHOCKWAVE weld me up some aluminum so I can allow the rig to pivit off of it somehow which will not effect the lights when a 2nd gigger steps on the bow...
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Unclehandy View Post
                    What about angling them up at a 45 degree angle instead of a 90? Have you tried that 2112? Im gonna help westendangler set it up, Just wouldnt want any light to be wasted under the bow of the boat if they are turned sideways.
                    The two front Halogens can be angled up at 45 degrees and the other ones we can leave coming straight off either end of the main T structure...

Comment

I suppose the 45 deg thing would work but you would need to take into account to fab them so as none of the lightbulb is above the water due to hi temps.

TTF style bulbs pointed forward and the new lights uses on the end pointed forward would give good all around illumination.
                      Not that much different than a Karankawa indian hunting the shallows at night with a torch and a spear.

Comment

The TTF lights would be pointed forward... What do you think of my design? Overkill? I might make 2 and give one to Unclehandy

I need to get with Crappieman now on the board he has the part number for the lights that are used and has replaced the bulb on his TTF Style Gig Light... I might sacrafice an old one I have in my garage that's burnt out and try and fab something this evening...

Comment

I have the old light bar with lights from my 14' jon. If you are interested, come and get them. Its put together with PVC tubing, elbows etc. At least you can get an idea and talk to me in person about my thoughts on a 12v system.
                          281 772 8884
                          Bert in Bacliff.

Comment

Thanks, I'll be in the area this weekend.

Comment

What I have so far...

Here's what Unclehandy & I came up with tonight...

I haven't added the upper supports and might consider shortening the mid section I am thinking about adding the walking gigging light (TTF Style) and "T-ing" it into the long straight piece between the 2 forward lights. The light will add additional forward and side light to hopefully fill in any shadows.

The two forward lights shown will be positioned so that the "T" section will point towards the sea floor off this I will add a small spacer and a 90 degree elbow which will allow me to tilt the light to face more foward and out at a 45degree angle as opposed to a flat 180 degrees, this allows me to keep the light under the water which is critical while still being able to shine the light forward.
                              Attached Files

Comment

When you seal that pvc together, make sure to only use blue pvc cement and don't even consider RTV. Also scuff up the sealing sufaces and then wash them with soapy water before cementing. If you stay with those little starbrite lights, I believe they are already sealed in which case I suggest you just fit the assembely together without cement and take the rig to a swimming pool at night to see exactly what your light pattern is going to look like. At the pool or waterever body of water you happen to be using, you can then turn the assembely into the best postions. When it is set just right, carefully handle the rig without losing its positions and mark the joints with a black magic marker. Now you can cement it back together perfectly. If you go with the forward facing TTF style bulbs it will be criticle that they are water-tight.
                                Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X