6-6-2014 , east bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6-6-2014 , east bay

My good friend doesn't like boats , he kayak fishes only. He's been after me to fish so we go . We're on the 5am ferry to launch at Stingaree Marina . I stopped at a convenience store so he and another guy had been fishing Stingaree cut for about 30 minutes before I arrived . They both had a soft dine hit but no hookups . Two waders were near by . After almost 2 hours and no one had a strike , we left . My buddy and other guy checked out the Boliver Pocket . I made my way to Yates Cove stopping at a bayou mouth and up the bayou to fish. Nothing . 75 yards from shore there's lots of bait being attacked and I hook a big gafftop that wrapped my line around my rudder and anchor rope and broke my line. Reaching Yates I drifted from leeward to windward shorelines . Wind was south 8-15 . I pitched my limetruse crazy croaker one foot from the grassline in one foot of wind whipped water and worked it back not far before I hooked up a 2 pound trout . I anchored and threw back at the grassline . Second cast I land a 3 pound trout . I missed 2 and lost 1 . I got a final 1 3/4 pound trout before it was over . I fished the points then eased down that shoreline . It was covered with 8 inch finfish . I wish I had found them earlier . I fished up the bayou for flounder , reds , trout . That was it . Weak tides and the water got more off color as the day passed . Headed back and left at 7 pm . I'm convalescing today a crippled old timer . I couldn't find my camera so I only have these two pictures of the trout . Notice how dark the back of the 3 pound fish is . Reds are lighter or darker depending on the water clarity they have been staying in . I suppose it's true for trout too .
    Attached Files
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Dang Henry, that's a long day. You live in the west side of Houston and went across the ferry to Boliver and left at 7pm.
    I would probably sleep for 2 days to recover from that.
    Glad you caught some nice fish.

Comment

HAR! I got home at 9pm . My friend calls me Marathon Man . I come to fish and I love being out there but my age is catching up with me . It gets harder each year to stay all day in the heat . I wonder if I can get a morphine drip while fishing and the day after ?
      GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

You are one tough old bird Henry! Great report...did your friend catch and fish?
        Captain, Galveston County Blue Team Fish Killers
        "Fishing Guide"-A person who contributes to the delinquency of a liar.

Comment

Nice going, plugger! You needed that break from the flower beds.

Comment

Great report plugger. I always have liked kayaking that area.
            "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

Nice job Plugger.
              "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Nice report Plugger. That was a long day for a gent of our age! Glad to see you got some nice fish
                Fishwhisperer

Comment

Nice report, Pics and catching, Plugger (Marathon Man!) You deserve that name to be doing the all day thing!

Comment

Nice trout buddy.
                    Mirrolure Pro Staff

Comment

Wtg Henry

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
                      sigpic
                      Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Great Job Henry! If you're gonna fish, might as well make a day of it.

Sent from my iPhone

Comment

Originally posted by Termo View Post
                          You are one tough old bird Henry! Great report...did your friend catch and fish?
                          Nah , they two got skunked .

Comment

Thanks , fellas . It gets harder each year . A lot of prep time , a long way to go , and once there it's hard to leave I love it so . I love being on the water and searching for fish . Not just trout , but flounder and reds . I spent amount of time in those bayous bumping a gulp off the bottom for flounder . It got hot and I was alone . I ll use a boat more and wade and drift . At least that way I'll have backup if I cardio . Unless I'm with TERMO or HMAIER , they are older than me and worthless ... HAR !

Comment

WTG, a Great Report and pic. That is one fat trout. Well Plugger, that Geritol is working for you. Great way to hang in there. Lord Bless.
                              robert
                              And all things, whatsoever you shall ask in prayer, BELIEVING, YE shall receive. Mathew 21:22.

Comment

Working...
                              X