Jumbile bay area?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Termo View Post
    LW8....I'm no authority on wade fishing, but I HAVE been wading west bay for about 40 years and I have never been struck by a stingray while doing so. Not so lucky for a friend that lives out in Sea isle that I grew up with (another 40 year wader) just last year. He is tough as a grizzly and although I wasn't with him at the time, afterward he showed me pictures of the wound and it shocked the chit out of me (also saw the wound about 2 weeks later and it was still gross). He said it was the worst pain he had ever experienced. We both now never enter the bay without ray guards. Just like police who never are shot (thankfully) during their entire careers, most departments, if not all, now require their officers to wear bulletproof vests just in case--I think that logic works for wading. Also, a little advice....ALWAYS slide or shuffle your feet while wading and NEVER walk back through your track to get back to where you have come from. Stingrays (and redfish will do it too) often use the mud you stirred up to search for bugs, worms and other critters and you might step on one doing that. Mud and sand are most likely to harbor a stingray where shell is less likely to. There are a lot of more experienced waders on this site, so I hope they add their two cents to help you in having a safe and successful wade.
    lol, blue. I'm gonna have to get you to teach me Jumbile. Are you available on a Wednesday?

Comment

Just funnin , blue. You still the man!

Comment

Ouch!!! I heard a similar story from an old salt that has waded Jumbile Bay area for 40 yrs. and was flounder gigging. I guess I need to start looking for some 'ray guards'. I can handle pain OK, but I'd just as soon avoid it if possible. Besides, I'll be able to concentrate more on my fishing. Thanks Termo for the advice. Now, about those pesky sharks they mentioned lurking around the area. Maybe I need a kayak.

Comment

I was thinking earlier today about the fwe members I've waded that little cove with. Made some good friendships there. Ah, fishing memories, priceless.

Comment

Originally posted by Termo View Post
            Here's a pretty cool article........

http://www.fishing-boating.com/artic.../stingrays.htm
            I don't know if you noticed, but this article is linked to a website that sells "Superior Protection Stingray Guards".
            "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

Working...
            X