No announcement yet.

Belt or vest?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think he means that you can't shuffle your feet when walking backwards or see where you're stepping. Might step on a ray
    At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

Originally posted by J.R. View Post
      H.Majer mentioned to never walk backwards...that some sort of rookie joke or is there something actually to that?
      rays follow the dust trail kicked up by your feet eating bait and if you step back!!
      MANVEL MOB

Comment

Got it

Comment

Yep , and you shuffling your feet stirs up sediment which contain the microorganisms that stingrays eat so they can be feeding while following you .
          GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

Great advice from everybody. Go minimal with the gear for sure. I went back to using my do-net recently. After back surgery I am always wondering if I could "lock up" and need something that floats.
            Scott
            "All fishermen are liars except you and me and to tell you the truth, I'm not so sure about you!"

Comment

Academy has one that has some good reviews and looks ok...H2O XPRESS™ Quick-Draw Wading Belt I might check it out...Coe's offered to hook me up with one of his homemade over the shoulder set ups to try out.

Comment

Im guessing a good set of chest waders should go on the shopping list too?

Comment

I used to use a 25ft stringer. The fish would swim up the stringer and bump my leg. I bought a twin do-net at the spring sale. I put 2 boxes tied with tie wraps. I bought a hunting belt about 15yrs back with a plastic buckle. I tied some nylon string to it and tied the fish net to it. I use a front fly fishing wading pouch that I also bought at the spring sale about 10yrs back. I tied a small string to one of the straps with 2 safety brass pins in case a shark grabs the do-nut. The safety pins are tied to the rope of the do-nut, will open with any pull. I also put a rod holder on the other strap. It hold my rod while changing lures or removing hook from fish. I tied a fish measuring ruler to one of the boxes. I carry a finger nail cutter around my neck. Good for cutting braided or mono line. I bought some saltwater pliers from Harbor Freight for $6.99. I had a discount coupon, so they were cheaper. Didn't cost a lot, because everything I have was on sale. Bruce has seen my set-up. People say it looks bulky, but it works for me. Hope this helps. Lord Bless.
                  robert
                  And all things, whatsoever you shall ask in prayer, BELIEVING, YE shall receive. Mathew 21:22.

Comment

I looked at the Quick-Draw belt, but I opted for the ForEverlast G2 Pro belt (from Academy). I really like it! What is best is the back support pad (makes a HUGE difference for me) and that everything can be slid around on the belt, so I can get my tackle box, pliers holder, rod holder, etc positioned exactly where I want them...

I do not have a good pair of waders. I actually use some old hunting waders. They work, but a good pair of Simms would be MUCH better. I'm saving up my $ for a better yak, though.

My wade set up is that G2 Pro belt, 1 tackle box, 1 rod holder (I took one off), the plier holder with saltwater pliers, fingernail clippers around my neck, and a dip net and donut net clipped to the D ring. I like the donut net over a stringer, I think the bulk of the thing deters sharks from grabbing fish. I have had fish pulled off of a stringer once, and even lost a whole stringer (had a pair of 19" trout on it too!). I even had a blue herron sneak up behind me while I was rainbow trout fishing one time and pick off a couple bows from my stringer in shallow water.

That G2 Pro belt has a slot where you can slip the point of a stringer into it, sort of a quick release system. So I cut the point off of a stringer with about 6" of stringer line left on, and tied that to the end of the cord on my donut net, so that is how I have a quick release on my donut.

The last, and for me most important thing is a good knife. I have a dive/kayaking knife in a plastic sheath. I keep it clipped on front straps of my waders, where I can easily and quickly get it. This is important to me because if I ever get tangled up (in my fishing line or net line, or some trash under the water) and knocked off my feet, I will be able to cut my way free. Or at least have a shot at it... Safety First

Comment

On my second year with a pair of $60 Magellan from academy.

Comment

I shopped around for my first pair and found some higher end Hodgeman's for $35 on eBay. They were great for a first pair, but I wouldn't recommend paying retail for them. Try to get something decent for your first pair without breaking the bank. You'll wind up replacing them more quickly than you think.
                        I got a pair of Caddis that I'm pretty happy with now, but I wish I'd saved up for Simms.

Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life.
                        "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

I bought some caddis for $15 at the spring sale. They have minor defect, but can't complain for the money. Bought my first waders there for $20. I bought 3 neoprene waders so far. They last me about 3 years before leaking. Lord Bless.
                          robert
                          And all things, whatsoever you shall ask in prayer, BELIEVING, YE shall receive. Mathew 21:22.

Comment

Not having much money when I started wading, I've adapted a combination of a belt and PFD with pockets over neoprene waders. I added two rod holders to an ordinary belt as well as a tackle compartment, and I try to keep it up high. My PFD has a front pocket for Gulp packs and a box of lures. I've further attached a hook remover, pliers, scales and a long knife. I use either neoprene waders or a wetsuit depending on the water temp. Oh, and I stuff the handle of a landing net up under the belt in back. I like to use two rods. In the old days I'd have a bottom rig set up on the rodbin the holder and fish with an artificial on the other pole. Today I towed a drop shot shrimp in the holder. BUT with all that, not even a bite let alone a fish. Sigh.

Comment

Not having much money when I started wading, I've adapted a combination of a belt and PFD with pockets over neoprene waders. I added two rod holders to an ordinary belt as well as a tackle compartment, and I try to keep it up high. My PFD has a front pocket for Gulp packs and a box of lures. I've further attached a hook remover, pliers, scales and a long knife. I use either neoprene waders or a wetsuit depending on the water temp. Oh, and I stuff the handle of a landing net up under the belt in back. I like to use two rods. In the old days I'd have a bottom rig set up on the rodbin the holder and fish with an artificial on the other pole. Today I towed a drop shot shrimp in the holder. BUT with all that, not even a bite let alone a fish. Sigh.

Comment

Working...
                              X