468x80 Banner

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To Galveston lovers, book lovers, and history lovers.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Galveston lovers, book lovers, and history lovers.....

I am taking a history class online with Alvin Community College and was "forced" to read a book called A Weekend in September by John Edward Weems. Now I won't tolerate reading, just like Woodrow won't tolerate rude behavior in a man. That's why I am an engineer major so I don't have to read books. But this book (published in 1957) was written about the Storm of 1900. I actually really enjoyed the book. It was neat reading about how Galveston life used to be and how terrible the storm really was. The author interviewed several surivivors of the storm and made it very factual. It is an easy read (no fancy words and it's not too long) but it can be a little confusing. He jumbles together the stories of about 10 separate families and mushes it into one book. But I really enjoyed the book and just wanted to share it with everyone. Remember, this is coming from someone who NEVER reads books. Something good to do when the wind blows west.......
    XA

GOD BLESS AND GIG'EM!

I hope I catch a 10 lb trout before I catch a flesh eating bacteria.

Good luck on getting through college without reading books. LMAO
    Try reading another one. I think you'd like "Hearts of the Sea", the true story of the Essex whaling ship sunk by a whale and the men that drifted in boats across the Pacific for months.
    "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

I think I read that book in high school or shortly after. It really tells a good story about families and their experiences through the storm.

Comment

Yep, great book. I read it when forced to in history at ACC myself! small world
        Scott
        "All fishermen are liars except you and me and to tell you the truth, I'm not so sure about you!"

Comment

Thanks Kenny, I will look into it when I get some free time
          XA

GOD BLESS AND GIG'EM!

I hope I catch a 10 lb trout before I catch a flesh eating bacteria.

Comment

If you're an engineering major, you might enjoy this book...relax, there are a lot of pictures!
            Don't be a Nancy!
            If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

The other great book on the 1900 storm is titled Isaac's Storm. Isaac was the US government weatherman (the early version of NOAA) for Galveston in 1900. Unfortunately, for about 6,000 people, he missed the forecast that day.

Comment

When I started working on tugs in 1982 I only read the pics in nude mags.Now when I'm on the boat I read at least 2 books a week.The price of paperback books now.Thinking of going back to looking at pics.

Comment

Flatout, I got the book when my dad passed - pretty intersting book.

Kenny, Thats one GREAT book, to say the least. Once I started, coudn't hardly put it down.

Comment

There is also a book about wrecks and gold/treasure along the Texas coast that I couldn't put down...unfortunately I cant remember the name of it. It was a paperback and Capt Kevin Cochran lent it to me(I've since mailed it back)...said his girlfriend bought it for him in Galveston. Dang good book...talks about Santa Annas gold that is supposed to be buried around where 225/ Shell Refinery is now. Also discussed gold around Clear Creek and murder associated with it!!!! Good book, but for a paperback, I remember it was very expensive.
                    Don't be a Nancy!
                    If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

Life of Pi. Hahaha not an easy read but a good one.
                      Resident Ninja

Comment

"A weekend in September" and "Isaac's Storm" are both really good books. There was another good one on the storm that I read, but I can't remember the name. There was also a good one on Ike but I can't remember the name of that one either. I'll try to find them.
                        You never know what the tide might bring

Comment

Ike: The Aftermath-It is a sad, heartbreaking story about folks treated poorly by insurance companies, a trust-fund baby crappy mayor and greedy, scumbag politicians. It aint been written yet, but is a story of how I lost about $40,000 in stuff from Ike and got $10k back from insurance and many others were treated even worse. Another title may be Bunga Bunga or Death by Bunga Bunga-Your Choice.
                          Gad dang TWIA and FEMA.

Another book is: How an Idiot can be President by B. Hussein Obama, again, it hasn't been written yet, but is a true story how a scum sucking government leech can fool voters into voting him in as POTUS and how he ultimately "Changed" government to be even worse than it was under any previous administration. After reading just the Preface, you will need warfarin and blood pressure pills (plus a trash can or vomit bag to wretch into).
                          "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

Try the this one"The Count of Monte Cristo" by Alexandre Dumas. The Count later went on to make some really good cigars!!
                            Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Here another great book ever fisherman should have" The Ashley Book of Knots"
                              Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X