No announcement yet.

Native saltwater aquarium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I kept a saltwater tank for many, many years - and only put fish in it that I caught myself. I caught all with a net or slurp gun. Had a moray eel that would eat from my fingers.

Like Gilbert said, jetties are a great place to get fish for your tank. Jetties typically have a large number of small fish. Trick is catching them without harming them.

Most important thing to remember about your SW tank: As water evaporates, do NOT add salt water to it. Add distilled water. If you add salt water, you are increasing the salinity because you are adding salt.

About every six months, I would go and get 15 gallons of new seawater from the sea. Then, I would siphon off 15 gallons from the tank and replace it with the new seawater. In between, as water evaporated, I added distilled water.

Why 15 gallons? That is the size of a beer keg. Get yourself a stainless steel beer keg to haul your seawater. Just take it to the sea, sink it, plug it, and bring it home.
    Walker

Anegada, BVI (N18° 44.683' W64° 24.133')
    and
    Houston (Clear Lake City)

Comment

Coach, Wow, I didnt know that. Will have to check that out. Thanks, I love stuff like that. We did have an 80 gal tank for awhile, before Ike, and my favorites were the hermit crabs. Didnt have it long enough to explore anything too much besides the bait shrimp I'd throw in it. Those shrimp are pretty fierce.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
        I kept a saltwater tank for many, many years - and only put fish in it that I caught myself. I caught all with a net or slurp gun. Had a moray eel that would eat from my fingers.

Like Gilbert said, jetties are a great place to get fish for your tank. Jetties typically have a large number of small fish. Trick is catching them without harming them.

Most important thing to remember about your SW tank: As water evaporates, do NOT add salt water to it. Add distilled water. If you add salt water, you are increasing the salinity because you are adding salt.

About every six months, I would go and get 15 gallons of new seawater from the sea. Then, I would siphon off 15 gallons from the tank and replace it with the new seawater. In between, as water evaporated, I added distilled water.

Why 15 gallons? That is the size of a beer keg. Get yourself a stainless steel beer keg to haul your seawater. Just take it to the sea, sink it, plug it, and bring it home.
        Send him some of that turquoise blue water walker:beer:
        MANVEL MOB

Comment

Hey, D-I-A.

I have a 75 gallon tank that is empty and just sitting in my living room. I live in Galveston so have easy access to seawater, etc. Could you give me any tips? Filtration, lighting, etc?

Thanks,
          Flyntus

Comment

Any updates?

Comment

Check sargassum mats for some good stuff and keep an eye out for seahorses. Also if get just off the third bar...feel around with your feet and you'll find live sanddollars.
              We had one when I was a kid living in Corpus and used to get cool stuff with a seine net. Look forward to seeing it
              Don't be a Nancy!
              If it smells like fish....you know I've been there!

Comment

Working...
              X