468x80 Banner

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boat Lift Cables-check them now and again.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boat Lift Cables-check them now and again.

Saturday my boat lift cable snapped and my boat fell about 2 feet while raising it. My cables are about 10 years old (stainless steel).

You may want to look at your lift cables. I generally checked mine EXCEPT the port side cables-I would use the starboard side cables to hold onto while getting in/out of the boat and did not get stuck/stabbed by any loose wires. Had I checked the left side cables, I would have noticed that it was fraying and cut the heck outta my hand-the back rear left cable had frays all up and down it. I was lucky it was the rear cable that snapped because when the boat fell, it went towards the canal and not into the bulkhead. If it went into the bulkhead, it would have crushed the front of the boat and probably busted a hole in my bulkhead. It fell about 2 feet with engine first but didn’t go under water-the front slid off the strap as it fell. Also, never stand or let anyone stand near cable pulleys while lifting or lowering-when that cable snapped, it wound around the center pole and if I was standing near the back strap on port side it woulda cut the sheit outta me. I replaced all my cables and the straps Sunday and it works great.

Just an FYI.
    "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Good information and glad you didn't get hurt, my friend. Did you go back with stainless or opt for nylon sling type?

Comment

Gald it turned out ok.
      KEEP IT WET..

Comment

Originally posted by H.Maier View Post
        Good information and glad you didn't get hurt, my friend. Did you go back with stainless or opt for nylon sling type?
        Basically re-ran stainless but using the pulleys attached to the new straps, so that should lessen the lift/strain. Was a deadlift system before and had white nylon straps with SS Cables-now have those black straps (had an extra set thanks to an old neighbor) with pulleys on straps and tied cables up to I Beam. The way I rigged it should improve lift capability.

Thanks Harvey.

It woulda been ugly if I was standing in the boat when it fell-certainly would have broken something either on me or the boat.
        "Hey Hillary, regarding the Benghazi Attack on 9/11-we'll just blame it on that movie, not my total lack of security. By the way, what's so significant about 9/11 anyway-was that a date my buddy Bill Ayers of the Weather Underground blew up a government building?" asked Obama to Hillary. BEAUTIFY AMERICA, RUN OVER A LIBERAL, THEN BACK UP AND SEE IF HE'S DEAD.

Comment

We can't have you hurt, my conservative hombre. Glad you got it fixed.

Comment

Boat lifts, boatlift parts, jet ski lifts, and boatlift motors. Offering only the highest quality of products, best prices, and service.

They are a sponsor here...
            We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

Also when using cable clips remember to never saddle a dead horse.
              Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

damm everywhere i go stuff is falling or breaking....well its sunny over here!Jerry that is a sweet boat lift and all the framing around it.
                I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

Originally posted by corndog View Post
                  Also when using cable clips remember to never saddle a dead horse.
                  I think you might be a Riggin Man! to know bout the dead horse!
                  West Bay Sensai...

Comment

Stevedore
                    "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Originally posted by Rollo View Post
                      I think you might be a Riggin Man! to know bout the dead horse!
                      Heaviest piece I have had lifted to date 437 tons on the hook!!!!
                      Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

I tell all of my customer to replaces cables every 2-3 years for two reasons:

1. You never run the risk of dropping your $50k boat.
                        &
                        2. It genreates more sales for Boat lift Distributors.

Cables are cheap to replace, galvanized cables will run .29 per foot to replace & stainless will run .90 per foot in 1/4" 7x19 aircraft cable. Replacing cable is cheap compared to what the boat cost which is why I always state to replace cables frequently.

Thanks,
                        Michael
                        Boat Lift Distributors
                        713-461-9443
                        Boat lifts, boatlift parts, jet ski lifts, and boatlift motors. Offering only the highest quality of products, best prices, and service.
                        Tight Lines,
                        Michael

Boat Lift Distributors
                        www.boatliftdistributors.com

Big Country Outdoors
                        www.bigcountryoutdoors.net

800-657-9998
                        713-461-9443 (local)

Comment

Great advice Mr. Boat Lift!!

My cables were over 10 years old-SS and no apparent rust on them, so looks are deceiving. Plus it was quite simple to do-my total cost was just under $115 including new SS clamps. Took me (that's right, even I can do it) about 1 hour total time to redo the whole system.

Comment

Originally posted by Robalo View Post
                            had white nylon straps with SS Cables-now have those black straps
                            Dude - you are the LAST person that I would ever ever suspected of being responsible for a black taking a white's job!
                            Walker

Anegada, BVI (N18° 44.683' W64° 24.133')
                            and
                            Houston (Clear Lake City)

Comment

Boat Lift Cables-check them now and again.

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                              Dude - you are the LAST person that I would ever ever suspected of being responsible for a black taking a white's job!
                              Ha!
                              Shut up and FISH!!

Comment

Working...
                              X