12-29-2013 north deer island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12-29-2013 north deer island

I can't open up the forums page to put this in the kayak forum . The moderator can move it for me whenever .

I launched my kayak from sportsmans road area at 7 am friday and headed straight for the causeway side of north deer island . The wind was 10-12 mph early then settled down to less than 10 mph late morning . Clear water . I passed these two in a boat who were fishing the north deer island side of the old icw drop off . Hmaier and termo ? Doesn't look like termo's boat . I fished the shell reefs east of north deer island .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27609[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27608[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27607[/ATTACH]
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

CONTINUED

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27613[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27612[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27611[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27610[/ATTACH]i then went to the rock retainment walls of north deer island and fished the deep trenches in front of the rocks . I then fished the deep trenches on the inside of the rocks . After that , i entered into the " lake " that the rocks surround . Incoming tide almost all dat but it's real shallow in there . I saw this pink flamingo . When they are around there usually are redfish around also . Yep , i saw a tailing red in two feet of water close to me but it was a off at a bad angle to cast to . I cast but no hookup and i couldn't find him after that .
    GEORGE A. BRANARD, COLOR SERGEANT, CO. L, 1 ST TEXAS INFANTRY, HOOD'S TEXAS BRIGADE, C.S.A. : S.C.V.

Comment

We were all over that water, plugger. Couldn't buy a bite. I never saw a hook-up with all that boat traffic. I'm gonna start following the reel pimp around.lol

Comment

CONTINUED

I exited the lake on the icw side and fished the deep trenches on the greens cut side of north deer island . Tide was coming in strong now and i could see ripples of submerged bait coming in . I fished the cuts into the lake as well , then moved back to where i entered the lake fishing the deep trenches . Along that stretch i saw my first bait , a mullet jump . Then i saw a big swirl right next to the rocks 20 feet away . I pitched my corky there and got an immediate pull and bend in my rod but no hookset . I worked that area over hard , but nothing more .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27617[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27616[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27615[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27614[/ATTACH]

Comment

Old folks always told me what yo do on new years day, you'll do all year. Heading back to galvo bay tomorrow. Need to scout out some fish for me and Moe. Promised him a trip and must keep my word. I'm trying to shake a upper respiratory infection so I can get my game on. Happy New Year everyone!

Comment

CONTINUED

I fished the reefs closer to the old icw then crossed the old icw to the reefs west of south deer island . Drifting there a landed a 5 pound red . After fishing around the reef i beached the kayak and put the red in my cooler .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27619[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27618[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27626[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27624[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27625[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27623[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27622[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27621[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27620[/ATTACH]

Comment

END

I fished the reef as i headed back to the shore . Very late before dusk i landed a 15 inch trout . A long day and i estimate i paddled about 9 miles . If i do that regularly i'll have lats like batman . But , i got i good layout of north deer island i couldn't have gotten from a boat or by wading . I learned something new and had a great day . I still hurt from it though .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27629[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27631[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27630[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27628[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]27627[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by h.maier View Post
                old folks always told me what yo do on new years day, you'll do all year. Heading back to galvo bay tomorrow. Need to scout out some fish for me and moe. Promised him a trip and must keep my word. I'm trying to shake a upper respiratory infection so i can get my game on. Happy new year everyone!
                i hope that's not true . Our daughter has the crude , it's going around , harvey . Happy new year !!

Comment

Originally posted by h.maier View Post
                  we were all over that water, plugger. Couldn't buy a bite. I never saw a hook-up with all that boat traffic. I'm gonna start following the reel pimp around.lol
                  no kidding . We'll take my boat . I'll have to cover my wea stickers on my boat so reel pimp won't think it's a wea potlicking him . We'll have to get a pair of those fun shop glasses with the nose and mustach attached to disguise ourselves . Har ! It'll improve our looks ! Lol !

Comment

Originally posted by H.Maier View Post
                    Old folks always told me what yo do on new years day, you'll do all year. Heading back to galvo bay tomorrow. Need to scout out some fish for me and Moe. Promised him a trip and must keep my word. I'm trying to shake a upper respiratory infection so I can get my game on. Happy New Year everyone!
                    good luck in the 30mph winds!
                    the fishing was good,it was the catching that was bad.

Comment

30 mph winds.I been hearing that chit for 3 days. Dead calm on the island as we speak. Should've felt better and went today.

Comment

Way to grind it out doc....nice report as always.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk

Comment

Well , I got my day and date wrong . I went Saturday the 28 th . DUH

Comment

Good report Henry. Nice looking colors on the red. You mentioned the pink flamingo, Steve Soule talked about that one time I met him.
                            The sunset pictures are Awesome!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Root Canal View Post
                              Good report Henry. Nice looking colors on the red. You mentioned the pink flamingo, Steve Soule talked about that one time I met him.
                              The sunset pictures are Awesome!!!
                              Yep , I have to give credit to Steve for knowing that . When I fished west bay with him he told me that .

Comment

Working...
                              X