No announcement yet.

Reef Building...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joe, thanks for working on this for us. I would like to hang tight to see what comes about the May 28th meeting to see where they are considering placing the reefs and if they get the funding. If they get funding to put in mutiple reefs, I say we just use the money for another project or a crawfish boil
    LIVIN THE SALT LIFE

Comment

You're welcome. I'm glad to help since it benifits us all.
      From what I hear they WILL do the Galveston 160acre reef, it's just a matter of where will it be located and when they will start. As with any government project it's hard to nail down a timeline but as I ask timeframes the consensus was about 6 months out for the project to start, possible as much as 9 months or a year depending on how long the different organizations drag their feet. You also have to remember this reef, although it's a good thing to us, will limit or prohibit other activities over the area by declaring the land rights under the water off limits to anything other than fishing or diving. Tom mentioned a company, I forgot, that he said after they start placing the Freeport reefs he believes he can pettition for a donation for the Galveston reef system and may be able to get as much as $500k out of them for a fast start to the Galveston reef polupation.

I look forward to the outcome of his meeting too.

Joe

Comment

We'll hold this project in limbo until we figure out the direction we want to go...

Meanwhile I need to get with Duane and Deano and see where we can have this 500lb crawfish boil
        We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

I'm in and will donate to the cause also. How much do we have to date? Let me know so I can send a check

Comment

0 to date we put it on hold.

Comment

So what ever happend with this???

Comment

Canceled because of where they were placing the reef we want Galveston block. It's been awhile someone needs to follow up.

Comment

Well if someone finds out if it can happen then id be able to put some cash on it

Comment

Email sent to Tom Hilton requesting an update on the Galveston block. Will report the reply.
                    At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Oleander Kayaker View Post
                      Email sent to Tom Hilton requesting an update on the Galveston block. Will report the reply.
                      Thanks!!!

Comment

I talked with Tom Hilton today.

The Galveston block (in state waters near the 9 mile line) is in limbo. The block overlaps and conflicts with the wind lease (windmills for power generation) the GLO is setting up. There has not yet been a decision as to whether the conflicting uses can co-exist. It may be awhile before any decision is made.

There is a federal permit for artificial reefs in federal waters at Mitchells Reef and Galveston Pipes. These allow cremated remains to be mixed with the concrete for memorial reefs. They are located 10 miles due south of the south jetty just outside of the 9 mile line. The footprint area of the reef is very small.

The permit for the 160 ac block at Matagorda is in hand. There isn't any activity on it though.

Some of the issues concerning the placement of artificial reefs is the subsidence of the structures. Whatever is used, the state wants to ensure they don't sink into the bottom and disappear.

Mr. Hilton's venture is not accomplishing much and there is a long lead before he and his partner may see any activity. They are pondering selling the boat.

I didn't know anything about the Galv. Pipes reef and found this document, it may be of interest:

Has anyone fished this reef?
                        At his baptism, Sam Houston was told his sins were washed away. He reportedly replied, “I pity the fish downstream.” - Nov. 19, 1854 - Independence, Texas

Comment

I just ran across this post and have a question about the following: "Some of the issues concerning the placement of artificial reefs is the subsidence of the structures. Whatever is used, the state wants to ensure they don't sink into the bottom and disappear."
                          Why would that matter and why would they care? It doesn't make any sense.
                          "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

I'm restating what Mr. Hilton had spoken about on the phone call, he did not eleborate much more, per my notes, and I didn't anticipate your question.

I would assume that if the State allowed an improvement in their waters, like fish habitat, they would want to ensure that the thing works, for it's intended pupose, over a reasonable length of time. Would you, or some other FWE'er, put money into this if the darn thing sunk into the bottom, if the weight of the thing was not sufficiently supported by a large enough footprint? The State may be smart enough, in this rare instance, to have thought of that.

Comment

Still need partners for reef project?

If you still need partners for reef project I am in. Let me know how to get the money to you. What is the progress so far? Like others I would like to keep it in state waters if possible.
                              let me know

Originally posted by WestEndAngler View Post
                              For those that went to the Houston Boat Show and that also frequent the 2COOL Forum, Mont and others are pooling money together to buy the concrete reef structures that were on display... They are $1,000 they build them and drop them off and give you Cord for these things...

In a years time you'll have a close accessible reef to grab fish of...

If we get 10 guys to devote $100 etc... We can get one of our own... I have pledged $100 to 2COOL's reef program but would be willing to double that to get one for the West End Anglers...

I know its a lot to ask and maybe we just save up for it for a few months but for those that fish the deep blue you know how over fished certain reefs can get and even one like 2COOL is doing will soon be overfished as there is no way to keep people from not giving out the Cordinates.

Let me know yalls thoughts $50 will go a long way in helping us create a new reef either inside State waters or out in Federal.

Look forward to hearing yalls ideas & $0.02

Coe-

Comment

Originally posted by cycleguy View Post
                                If you still need partners for reef project I am in. Let me know how to get the money to you. What is the progress so far? Like others I would like to keep it in state waters if possible.
                                let me know

Originally posted by Oleander Kayaker View Post
                                I talked with Tom Hilton today.

The Galveston block (in state waters near the 9 mile line) is in limbo. The block overlaps and conflicts with the wind lease (windmills for power generation) the GLO is setting up. There has not yet been a decision as to whether the conflicting uses can co-exist. It may be awhile before any decision is made.

There is a federal permit for artificial reefs in federal waters at Mitchells Reef and Galveston Pipes. These allow cremated remains to be mixed with the concrete for memorial reefs. They are located 10 miles due south of the south jetty just outside of the 9 mile line. The footprint area of the reef is very small.

The permit for the 160 ac block at Matagorda is in hand. There isn't any activity on it though.

Some of the issues concerning the placement of artificial reefs is the subsidence of the structures. Whatever is used, the state wants to ensure they don't sink into the bottom and disappear.

Mr. Hilton's venture is not accomplishing much and there is a long lead before he and his partner may see any activity. They are pondering selling the boat.

I didn't know anything about the Galv. Pipes reef and found this document, it may be of interest:

Has anyone fished this reef?
                                Last we checked this whole project for Galveston was uncertain.

We had close to $1,200 accounted for but never collected because we wanted to dictate where our reef went (which block).

Comment

Working...
                                X