468x80 Banner

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you wear ray guards/shields when wading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much does a pair of Ray Guards cost?
    Tight Lines,
    Capt. Nathan

Comment

About $20 at Academy, and well worth it in my opinion.
      sigpic
      Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

$20 is cheaper than my co-pay if it keeps me out of the ER I'm all for it! I own the Rayguard Boots there are some shin guard types you can buy as well. I've found my boots rub my shins raw so I usually wade with socks to prevent that.
        We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

The boots are too cumbersome, so I wear my reef boots with the ray guard shin guards. They work great.
          sigpic
          Everything God does is right, the trademark on all his work is Love. Psalm 145:17

Comment

Its a matter of WHEN,not IF your gonna get hit cuz if you wade enough its just a matter of time before you slip up on your well practiced shuffle and get hit.A good pair of reef boots at the least are needed to protect from shell and other obstructions in the water.Better safe than sorry i would say!
            Don't follow my boat......I don't catch fish......

Comment

I always use Ray Guard boots, because a few years ago I was shuffling my feet until I fell into a hole that had a ray in it. It went all the way through my ankle between the bone and my achilles tendon. I was laid up for a month, and it severed a nerve going to my pinky toe. After a month or so I regained movement in my toe, but I no longer feel anything superficial on the outside of my foot.

Comment

I wear them all the time in the late spring and all of summer when i don't have to wear waders.

My Ray Guards are a complete boot...and i can't break them down, so i can't wear them with my waders when the water is still cold.
                "If our father had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him." Norman Maclean, from A River Runs Through It

Comment

No guards for me.

Commando style is the only way!
                  Last edited by Unclehandy; March 6, 2009, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Gordoleo's story is one of many that convinced me that the bay shuffle wasn't enough. Now as a family man, I can't afford to be laid up. I am in sales and if I am not working, I am not paid. So, to me it is insurance.

I got mine big enough to wear comfortably over waders, and wear thick socks in the summer. If my son isn't with me, I borrow his smaller ones.
                    Scott
                    "All fishermen are liars except you and me and to tell you the truth, I'm not so sure about you!"

Comment

Speaking of Rays, the coves in West Bay are full of them! Alot of babies starting to show up. Must have seen 15 to 20 yesterday. Be careful!

AQUA PIMP
                      AQUA PIMP......
                      "SALTWATER PIMP'N AIN'T EZ"

WWW.SALTWATERASSAULT.NET

Comment

Originally posted by aqua pimp View Post
                        Speaking of Rays, the coves in West Bay are full of them! Alot of babies starting to show up. Must have seen 15 to 20 yesterday. Be careful!

AQUA PIMP
                        thanks for reminding me AP Friday night Bailey and I saw 4 swimming in the lights in Lake Como, I went to our old duck blind Saturday and saw hundreds of small ones get up when I went through! If I had a net I could have served up fresh scallop
                        We are West End Anglers, a saltwater tribe!

Comment

I wear the ray guard reef boots but lost the shin guards.

Comment

Some advice to the people that "never wear" stingray boots/guards. Stay out of the S. shore coves' or really shuffle. Before this cool down, the rays were starting to school up in the shallows. I haven't seen any really large ones, just a whole lot of 'em.
                            I wear the reef boots in the winter and am adding the guards now until I'm out of waders. I'll be wearing new rayguard boots over neoprene socks for wet wading.
                            "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

must say im suprised to see 60% never wear them
                              Boats and hoes.

Comment

Either they've never been hit by a ray, or their just too "badazz" to wear them. I didn't wear them for most of my life 30+ years wading and was lucky, until I got "unlucky". Never again.
                                "GET OFF MY REEF!"

Comment

Working...
                                X