Quitting television

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quitting television

Well, I fired my cable company because they couldn't keep their billing straight. I was going to go with DirectTV, but something inside me just told me to do a little experiment.

So, for the last month, I have had zero television. I have rabbit ears, but I haven't hooked them up. I still have tv at the camp, but that's for my Saints. I can't go cold turkey on watching the Saints.

So far, I'm a happier and more productive person. I have read 12 books and I managed to plan all my classes for the next month ahead of time. I thought I would miss the History Channel, but they don't have history on there much anymore anyway. It's all Ice Road Truckers and Swamp People. These are not history. I do miss ESPN, but I'm going to be saving a cool grand a year with no cable. I get my news from the net and I never, ever have to listen to Obama blaming everyone for his shortcomings.

We'll see if I can make it through the entire NFL season like this. I will cheat and hook up the rabbit ears if the Saints are on, but aside from that, I'm thinking this is a good thing.

Anyone else ever cut the cord for a while and noticed a change in themselves?
    From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

I have. The summer after I graduated high school was when the transition to DTV occured. I never got the converter box, thus I never watched TV. My first year of college, I went to A&M and was in the Corps there. No TV for me anyways, and me not watching it over the summer helped my transition immensely. To this day, I only watch TV for football. I probably would not be doing as well as I am in college if I watched TV anyways. In all my extra spare time, I either study or fish!
    Resident Ninja

Comment

I moved back to the US after a 3 year foreign assignment in 1999. For the first 7 or 8 years, we had rabbit ears and one 19" TV. My wife and I lived happily for years without TV. We didn't really get down the road with cable until 3 years ago. I missed seeing the Astros on TV. Likewise, I missed ESPN.

Even now, I don't watch it much. I've got 4 young kids and we are pretty strict about their use of TV. Its nice to have cable but I could happily live without it. Particularly as more content has become available on the interweb.

I say you go for it. There is plenty to read and you control all the content.

Jeff

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
      "Shut up and jerk your croaker" - James Fox

Comment

HEHE if my daughter lost Nickolodean i would be dead !
        10x spelling bee champ ...... For a full report go to DEANOKNOWS.COM

Comment

We gave up cable about 15 years ago as a money saving move. When the DTV conversion came along, we purchased a box but could only get Telemundo & Univision so we just quit watching. We just recently got Netflix and stream some stuff.
          I'm really with you on this. The only things I miss are documentaries and old movies. The vast wasteland of generic programming does nothing for me.
          "Curmudgeon only pawn in game of life."

Comment

A storm came through one time and knocked the power out and I went without TV for like four flippin' hours! I'll never forget that...
            sigpic

Comment

If I didn't live at home with my parents I prolly wouldn't have cable or dish either. I'm on the Internet way more reading and researching things.

Comment

I didnt have cable til i moved out when i was eighteen, finally got cable and all i watch is espn, vs. , and outdoor chanel, i might try this, sixty a month for three chanel is pretty rediculous
                I dont always drink beer, but when i do , I prefer to be fishing !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by coachlaw View Post
                  Well, I fired my cable company because they couldn't keep their billing straight. I was going to go with DirectTV, but something inside me just told me to do a little experiment.

So, for the last month, I have had zero television. I have rabbit ears, but I haven't hooked them up. I still have tv at the camp, but that's for my Saints. I can't go cold turkey on watching the Saints.

So far, I'm a happier and more productive person. I have read 12 books and I managed to plan all my classes for the next month ahead of time. I thought I would miss the History Channel, but they don't have history on there much anymore anyway. It's all Ice Road Truckers and Swamp People. These are not history. I do miss ESPN, but I'm going to be saving a cool grand a year with no cable. I get my news from the net and I never, ever have to listen to Obama blaming everyone for his shortcomings.

We'll see if I can make it through the entire NFL season like this. I will cheat and hook up the rabbit ears if the Saints are on, but aside from that, I'm thinking this is a good thing.

Anyone else ever cut the cord for a while and noticed a change in themselves?
                  Whats this crazy book thing you speak of?? You cut off the ears of a saint and turned him into a rabbit? Work of the devil !!! Coach is witch!! Stone him!!
                  Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Been there, done that and really miss it.

I went a few years without TV when I moved into my first apartment. No roommates or live in girlfriends. Just me and my thoughts. I read more, did more, cooked more, slept more, cleaned more, learned more, worked more, lived more and generally felt 110% better than I ever had before.

Comment

Originally posted by corndog View Post
                      Whats this crazy book thing you speak of?? You cut off the ears of a saint and turned him into a rabbit? Work of the devil !!! Coach is witch!! Stone him!!
                      LMAO!!!!!
                      From 1970-1997, true heaven on Earth existed on the banks of Bayou Cook. "Hey Dad, Thanks for buying the Camp."

Comment

everything on tv can be seen on the internet.

Comment

I gave up my high speed internet too. This aircard is like a dial up to watch a youtube video, so I don't think I'll be streaming any shows. But it's handy and I can have interweb at the camp.

Comment

What's cable?Isn't that only available in Mo'tel's and ho'tel's!
                            I LIVE IN A SMALL COMMUNITY WITH A LARGE PROBLEM AND A PROBLEM.

Comment

HEHEHE!!
                              Bacon Bacon Bacon!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X